Hey guys,

Has anyone grabbed a Mac Mini? Are there any problems like over heating or anything like that? This will be my first Mac since I've been a PC guy for many many years. Thanks for you time.

This website gives out free Mac Mini's and has been labeled legit by the TechTV crew and many other media stations.

<< url edited because we don't allow affiliate urls on DaniWeb >>

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hey

Yeah i have a mac mini, i am, very pleased with it i still have a windows system but havent touched it since get my mini, i have been using my mini for a couple of days its really really silent (sometimes forget its on) lol i have no problems with overheating. all i would say to those thinking of gettting one is to think about adding that extra ram coz its very useful as i have found.

What about the monitor did you buy a mac monitor wich cost more than the mini itself witch I think is dumb.

What about the monitor did you buy a mac monitor wich cost more than the mini itself witch I think is dumb.

Have you seen the Apple monitors? They're positively wonderful! The reason why they're so expensive is because the color purity on them is bar-none, and they've got some really awesome screen sizes.

Besides, the Mac Mini comes with a DVI port, and a DVI-VGA adapter. Anyone with a PC would be able to just hook up any old monitor you'd have.

I have a mac-mini and have it hooked up with a 50inch samsung dlp hd tv via the monitor vga

I have a mini and honestly it is just amazingly... well smart.
And no: There aren't any probs with it. It is very, very silent (the first time I started it I didn't even realize that it was running =)). When you cover it (which is a stupid idea by electrical devices anyhow) and use an application that consumes a lot of CPU (eg Cinema4D) than it does get a bit louder and warmer. I never experienced a problem so far but I don't wanna push my luck.

I'm very, very happy with it and I will never give it away.

I bought the 1.66 Mac mini a year and a half ago with 2GB of RAM and the 20" Apple Cinema monitor. True the monitor seems pricey when compared with the computer. Together they make a very decent computer for graphic design work. The $250 19" PC monitor I bought first was rubbish for design work even though the cheap price seemed to match the Mac mini.

I also added G-Drive's G-mini firewire drive below and use SuperDuper! software to back the Mac mini up every night. The backup is fully bootable if the main drive ever fails.

Even with Photoshop CS3, Flash CS3, Dreamweaver CS3 and a few other resource hungry design programs open it runs cool.

With a G-Drive 1TB external drive it's pretty much a perfect system.

Hey guys,

Has anyone grabbed a Mac Mini? Are there any problems like over heating or anything like that? This will be my first Mac since I've been a PC guy for many many years. Thanks for you time.

This website gives out free Mac Mini's and has been labeled legit by the TechTV crew and many other media stations.

http://www.FreeMiniMacs.com << url edited because we don't allow affiliate urls on DaniWeb >>

I could not be happier with my 4 month old mac mini. I ordered it with the 2GB upgrade from the apple store. I saw quite a few self-upgraded mini's on ebay which had the hotter 7200 rpm drives which I'd avoid. The beauty of the mini is it sits silently along side my 10 times bigger windows/linux box and shares the 22" medion widescreen monitor.

I have an "old school" G4 mac mini that will be given to a friend in great shape... I would get a mac mini again ...they are great machines. I did my own memory and HDD modds to it .. got my own custom putty knifes to crack it open.

Had the 747 sound only a few times during heat waves 100+ degree weather... Mini still alive and running.

added belkin port replicator, firewire HDD, isight, M-Audio interfaces. Used it for Music, Photography and Videos ...

I was low on cash an this was my only computer for awhile

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.