Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting to a 'Gigabyte' router (802.11bg) my housemate recently purchased. My ibook (system 10.3.9) recognises the existence of the network in the airport drop down menu, but when I try and select it, I receive the message 'there was an error connecting you to the airport network "Gigabyte"'.

I don't know what I am doing wrong - the router and the mac are both set to configure automatically using DHCP, and the router succeeds in ascribing an IP address to the mac. My housemate has a pc and that works fine. I have been through the router's configurations, and nothing seems to be amiss. HELP.

Oh, and I have used my ibook on other networks with no probs at all. Everything has always just configured itself.

Thanks for listening,

Mossley

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

1) Is the router doing MAC filtering?
2) Try creating a new Location in the Network prefpane and connection to the wireless network then.

i used to get the same error message in 10.3.x with my dlink router, however, when i checked connectivity i WAS actually connected and had network access despite the error. it's gone away since moving to 10.4.x

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.