Hi, I need help with a problem I'm having. Sometimes I turn on my computer and it say "Operating System not found" and it wont turn on for a whole day. I can't do anything when it says that. It's just a black screen with those 4 words. When I type it repeats them. What's wrong? What do I do? last time I w8ed a day and it came back on.

But for now I can't do anything. The mouse doesn't turn on or anything like that. Awww! Sorry needed a scream. Can someone help me at all. I don't own an XP disk because I never got one. If anyone can list anything at all that could tell me what's wrong and possibly how to fix it, it would be much appreciated. Thanx 4 your time. Later.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If your machine will boot sometimes but not others, it is sounding like an intermittant hardware problem. It could be something simple, like an IDE hard disk cable that isn't firmly plugged into the drive, or motherboard. It could be that one of your add on cards, (video, sound, etc) has worked loose from it's slot. Same applies to your memory, the sticks may not be firmly inserted.

I'd open the case, and reseat all cards and cables for starters, (if you're not terrified of doing such!). If that doesn't help, I'd suspect intermittant hardware failure, perhaps the hard disk itself is failing.

Yeah Duncan probably is right if you dont know how to identify hardware problems you should call the people who made the computer and they well send someone to take a look at the hardware and see if there is anything wrong. Who knows you might just get a new Hard drive last time my computers power supply ran out I got a brand new better computer.

Is this a recent problem or have you been having it since you've had the computer?

Hi, I need help with a problem I'm having. Sometimes I turn on my computer and it say "Operating System not found" and it wont turn on for a whole day. I can't do anything when it says that. It's just a black screen with those 4 words. When I type it repeats them. What's wrong? What do I do? last time I w8ed a day and it came back on.

But for now I can't do anything. The mouse doesn't turn on or anything like that. Awww! Sorry needed a scream. Can someone help me at all. I don't own an XP disk because I never got one. If anyone can list anything at all that could tell me what's wrong and possibly how to fix it, it would be much appreciated. Thanx 4 your time. Later.

open your computer and make sure the connections to your HD and motherboard are secure and properly connected, if they are you should boot off your OS cd and run the install again to fix any errors (possibly missing ntoskrnl.exe)...reruning windows setup over an existing installation should mean it only installs missing files/registry entries and fixes corrupt files/registry entries so give it a try

I'm not real sure he'd need to repair his installation, since leaving the machine alone for a bit seems to be enough to get it to boot again. I would have to doubt his OS is hosed if it boots sometimes, not others.

Always check first things first. Make sure you're getting good connections though power cords, powerboards and wall outlet before you do anything else ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.