ok well when i boot up with windows 98 SE i get 3 errors before windows starts up. saying same thing for all .vxd files

Cannot find a device or file that may be needed to run windoes or an application.

The windows registry or system.ini file refers to theis device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated applicaton using it's unistall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

vnetsup.vxd

vredir.vxd

dfs.vxd

after all of that the computer will continue booting but before the password box appears you get this error message:

Windows networking

unable to load the dynamic link library

msnp32.dll

the system cannot find the file specified.

some or all of the following feature is not available:

Microsoft Networking.

can you help me if you need my system.ini file tell me i know how to get it.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

edit registry file.
click start button --> Run. Type regedit in the text box.
In the registry editor click Edit --> Find

Find What: type vnetsup.vxd (delete the found results)

are you sure that will work i've had a lot of bad expiriences in the registry and deleting things.

Before you start, export your registry to a file. I like using the current date as the file name when doing so. (How many "good.reg, good1.reg" files are useful? 082003.reg is August 20th, 2003... See how much more effective that is?)

i did that. I now hve the same problem as before except without it mentioning vnetsup.vxd

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.