Hello, I have this problem from past few week now, which i haven't rectified. Hope I get some suggestion from here.

I bought a new SATA2 Hdd 2 weeks before and there is no problem with that hard disk what so ever. The problem is with all my old hard disk which is SATA1. I made my new hard disk as my primary hard drive and installed windows XP on my new hard drive and kept my old one as my slave. Now the problem is that i cant access my old hard drive. I can browse the content of the drive, but when i try to access any files or directories i get a error message saying that "file has been corrupted". And i believe that its a problem with MBR.

What would you all say about. Is there any solution on how to get my data back from my old drive. I need them, i have got all my uni work in there.

Please help.

Thanks a lot

ssharish

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you tried chkdsk /f?
In a run box, type the command followed by the drive letter:
chkdsk /f d: for example.

Have you tried chkdsk /f?
In a run box, type the command followed by the drive letter:
chkdsk /f d: for example.

Thanks Hughv, i did that but no success. What do u think might have taken me to this problem.

ssharish

What is the OS?
I've heard of this problem with Vista, but usually with a USB HD.
Try viewing the drive in Safe mode.
If you don't have any luck, review the hardware carefully for loose cables, etc.
Try connecting to another controller if possible.
It sounds as though your files are important, so it might be worth reversing the two drives, booting from the old drive and trying to access the files.
I don't really think this is an MBR problem.

I am on windows XP prof SP2. I will try what u suggested.

Thank you

ssharish

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.