Hello to all, I'm new here.
When I boot my PC initially as well as with any reboot, I recieve an error
message saying that "explorer has encountered a problem and must close"
When I click OK my entire desktop disappears except for the background,
all shortcut icons and the task bar are gone for 2-3 minutes. When they
return several icons in my task bar are gone ! Has anyone encountered
this situation? Has it been resolved and How??
Thanks for any Help
Pete :rolleyes:

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by DuncanIdaho

yes i have. I know that you can start explorer.exe by going into your task manager and then going to file-> new task and write in explorer.exe and it will probably start up. I couldn't actually find a way to get working properly again and the problem kept on happening so I did a system restore. You could also try a system repair by using the Windows disk if you have XP (I am not sure if the other windows os's have this feature).

This is a Windows Explorer issue, not an Internet Explorer issue. Please tell me which version of Windows you use and I'll move this to the correct forum.

Thanks.

This is a Windows Explorer issue, not an Internet Explorer issue. Please tell me which version of Windows you use and I'll move this to the correct forum.

Thanks.

Hello, I am using Windows XP Home edition.
Thanks.

How long has this been going on? Do you have a system restore point you could return to prior to the time this began? Did you install any new software/hardware shortly before it began? Have you thoroughly checked out your machine for spyware/malware/adware/trojans/virii?

For the record, this crash has existed in Windows since at least Windows 95, but it seems to have no 'one cause'. I can reliably reproduce it on 2 different machines by opening any large (60 or so meg) zip files, and just copying files/deleting files from it for a while. Frustratingly, though, it occasionally happens doing other things, too. It can even happen while Windows Explorer is not running, (other than as part of the Windows shell, which it is integral to).

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.