Hello to all, I'm new here.
When I boot my PC initially as well as with any reboot, I recieve an error
message saying that "explorer has encountered a problem and must close"
When I click OK my entire desktop disappears except for the background,
all shortcut icons and the task bar are gone for 2-3 minutes. When they
return several icons in my task bar are gone ! Has anyone encountered
this situation? Has it been resolved and How??
Thanks for any Help
Pete :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

yes i have. I know that you can start explorer.exe by going into your task manager and then going to file-> new task and write in explorer.exe and it will probably start up. I couldn't actually find a way to get working properly again and the problem kept on happening so I did a system restore. You could also try a system repair by using the Windows disk if you have XP (I am not sure if the other windows os's have this feature).

This is a Windows Explorer issue, not an Internet Explorer issue. Please tell me which version of Windows you use and I'll move this to the correct forum.

Thanks.

This is a Windows Explorer issue, not an Internet Explorer issue. Please tell me which version of Windows you use and I'll move this to the correct forum.

Thanks.

Hello, I am using Windows XP Home edition.
Thanks.

Thanks- I'll move you to the XP/2000/2003 forum now...

How long has this been going on? Do you have a system restore point you could return to prior to the time this began? Did you install any new software/hardware shortly before it began? Have you thoroughly checked out your machine for spyware/malware/adware/trojans/virii?

For the record, this crash has existed in Windows since at least Windows 95, but it seems to have no 'one cause'. I can reliably reproduce it on 2 different machines by opening any large (60 or so meg) zip files, and just copying files/deleting files from it for a while. Frustratingly, though, it occasionally happens doing other things, too. It can even happen while Windows Explorer is not running, (other than as part of the Windows shell, which it is integral to).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.