Hi

I am trying to install xp pro on a preasrio 700 (724EA). However, when it gets to installing devices it gets to a certain point and stops with the message: stop:0x0000007e: sysaudio.sys. Never gets past this point. I figured that the audio hardware is causing this but cannot disable in the shit compaq bios. A friend of mine, as an exercise, loaned me a copy of XP Pro corp, and this installed ok although i couldn't use becasue of the licence. It was just meant to see if it did the same error. One thing i noticed about corp, was that it gave you the option to not install unsigned hardware, which i beleive is causing my problem. Does anyone know if XP Pro has this facility at setup stage? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi

I am trying to install xp pro on a preasrio 700 (724EA). However, when it gets to installing devices it gets to a certain point and stops with the message: stop:0x0000007e: sysaudio.sys. Never gets past this point. I figured that the audio hardware is causing this but cannot disable in the shit compaq bios. A friend of mine, as an exercise, loaned me a copy of XP Pro corp, and this installed ok although i couldn't use becasue of the licence. It was just meant to see if it did the same error. One thing i noticed about corp, was that it gave you the option to not install unsigned hardware, which i beleive is causing my problem. Does anyone know if XP Pro has this facility at setup stage? Any help would be appreciated. TIA

well i have installed both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Pro (non corp) and i have never seen an option to not install unassigned hardware. though i have run into errors similar to yours (ie stop error during the installation) that were due to a bad disk.

See if you can obtain another copy of windows (the one that didnt work) borrow it from a friend or somthing of the sort, so that you can try with a working copy. I know that the copy i have is very picky about the computer its on, and the cd drive its in. ive tried installing it before on my old computer and it gave me errors with the drivers, so i swapped in a new cd drive and it installed perfectly. Ive also tried installing it on my current comp, and again i had to swap in a cd drive and it worked perfectly, but its not that the current drives were bad, they were running perfectly fine so i dont know what caused it...

try another CD...seems like your best bet here....

thx 4 reply. However, the problem is the ac 97' audio that is causing the problem. But i cannot disable the onboard soud in the bios. there is no facility. all i get is: file-main-exit. I have tried several different disks also external cd and still same prob. I can install corp ok but i cannot use be cause of the wpa.dbl file that checks activation. Not that i would juse anyway. but what i don't understand is why i get an option throughout the install to not install unsigned components. I need some way to disable the hadware either during setup or pre-setup. There must be a way. TIA

thx 4 reply. However, the problem is the ac 97' audio that is causing the problem. But i cannot disable the onboard soud in the bios. there is no facility. all i get is: file-main-exit. I have tried several different disks also external cd and still same prob. I can install corp ok but i cannot use be cause of the wpa.dbl file that checks activation. Not that i would juse anyway. but what i don't understand is why i get an option throughout the install to not install unsigned components. I need some way to disable the hadware either during setup or pre-setup. There must be a way. TIA

thats very odd that you cannot disable onboard audio...that should be a requirement to be able to do because some people decide to purchase their own sound...

wait i just visited compaqs' site...its a laptop..so thats why it cant be disabled, because you cant disable onboard sound on alaptop because you cant replace the sound card...try contacting compaq and explaining that you bought a copy of windows XP for your lap top and it wont install becuase of the onboard audio drivers, and tell them that you are really pissed and will make sure that you and all your friends family and relatives will never use them unless they can fix..by either sending you CD's to reinstall the OS (sometimes companies will send you the cd's to reset your laptop or PC back to the day you bought it...they contain an OS and all of the software it originally came with). or somthing of the sort....

its worked for me before ;) (got a new video card that way)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.