Hi, I installed an add-on to IE7 and my computer stalled. After forcing a restart, the started getting a variety of error messages during boot-up, all pointing to corrupted or not found -

\windows\system32\config\system
or
<windows root>\system32\hal.dl
or
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
or
\windows\inf\biosinfo.inf

I have tried the repair process - it did not work.

For the recovery procedure, I don't remember the admin password (it is not blank). So, the system does not allow me to get inside the recovery menu. I am confused as to which password this is. I am the admin on the machine but the password I use to login to windows xp does not seem to work for the Recovery Console.

I was wondering if there was any way to recover my PC, anything short of a clean install. I have most of the data backed up but I just hate to go through having to reconfigure my machine.

Another question - will I be able to access the files on this hard drive if I make it a slave on another machine?

thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi,

Have you tried booting in safe mode and removing the IE addon ?

Yes you should be able to access files on disk if you make it a slave.

Denis

did you try just hitting enter ,at password prompt.

gotta love IE7 .

I can't get to the boot menu so pressing F8 doesn't do anything!

Hi,

Have you tried booting in safe mode and removing the IE addon ?

Yes you should be able to access files on disk if you make it a slave.

Denis

If you're getting the error messages, then its starting to boot windows, keep hitting F8 from when the computer starts up.

Out of interest, which add-on were you installing?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.