Well I'm assuming it's SP2 anyway. I have a Pentium 4 2.8 running windows XP. I installed service pack 2 without any hitches but upon restarting the computer freezes during the boot screen. The little progress bar thingy (I believe 'thingy' is the technical term) runs through twice before freezing. I've tried booting into safe mode and all it's variants (command prompt and networking) but every time it freezes at the file

agp440.sys

Does anyone have any advice they can offer me? Any advice specfically about fixing this problem would be even better. Though if you have advice on making a really nice cup of tea - well thats groovy too.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have a look in the sticky post at the top of the forum about SP2, (actually, I'll link it here).

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread10031.html

The DiVX fix has solved problems for some other issues, (though not all).

Of course, not being able to boot up won't help matters much. :(

Good luck!

Thanks for the message. Didn't actually work out as well as I'd like given that I had to format in the end. But thanks for the effort. Oh and as a side note - Installing SP2 after a clean install still caused the problem (freeze at boot. Same file actually) so just adding my tale of woe to the cautionary pile.

You should add that to the SP2 sticky topic, dlh6213, that's a useful little tip you got. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.