Everytime i switch one of my pcs on i get the following message...

Windows could not start beacuse the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

It was working file but this is what i get now. I didnt change anything to the pc. Any recommendations?

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

well if you cant even get to the login screen then what you need to do is run the xpcd and do a system restore with that. That will reinstall any missing windows components without making you have to reinstall all your files again.

First though, check your boot.ini file to be sure the paths are pointing to the right places, as a corrupted boot.ini will cause this.

Thank you. I have just noticed a thread has just been started with this exact error message so i will have a thorough read of that. Sorry for repeating the thread :)

Sorry to post in this thread but i really need help. I have just put the hard drive into another pc and set it as the slave. When the pc loads up it works fine. Now is there any way i can copy the working files from the working hard drive and replace them with the damaged versions on the other hard drive. Ive been told and read that it may be the boot.ini file. I have searched my pc for this file but cant find it.

Please tell me what you recommend. Is it as simple as just replacing the damaged files with the good ones on the decent drive.

Thank You

No, there isn't. Repair the Windows installation as suggested already.

I opened the command prompt program and used it to copy the hal.dll file to the other hard drive. Works like a gem now. Thanks for tryin to help anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.