Everytime I reboot my computer and click the internet explorer button, my home page opens to adfreesearch.com. I go to internet options and change it back to yahoo.com but everytime I reboot it reverts back. Is there a way I can fix this? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Sounds like you have some spyware. Download Ad-aware, scan the comp and remove them.

The software is at www.lavasoftusa.com

I'd recommend getting spyware search and destroy also. Within that there's options to immunise IE against lots of spyware and to prevent spyware from changing the homepage.

Normally try to run 2 different spyware programs spybot( I think that is the name out of Germany) and adaware. the 2 of them will clean things up.

Then do This , get Spybot S&D to clear out most of the spyware.

Short tutorial and download link here:
http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/

Fix everything SpybotSD labels in red.

Then after reboot:
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://63.247.79.145/~coyote/downloads/HijackThis1977.exe
Unzip to a permanent folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, load it in Notepad, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.
then post the log here

caperjack is a hypergenius

Yeah, I'd say Spybot S&D or adaware, or maybe both...

Sounds like you have some spyware. Download Ad-aware, scan the comp and remove them.

The software is at www.lavasoftusa.com

id pay close attention to caperjack hes a genius and wont steer you wrong. all hail to caperjack

id pay close attention to caperjack hes a genius and wont steer you wrong. all hail to caperjack

The words Caperjack and Genius ,don't belong in the same sentence !

Yeah, I'd say Spybot S&D or adaware, or maybe both...

these two programs alone will not remove a CoolWebSearch Infection,you will need to run CWShredder,and then Spybot and Ad-Aware .

commented: this chap has helped lots of people. and is an A1 bloke +6

The words Caperjack and Genius ,don't be;ong in the same sentence !

oh dont be modest mr caperjack sir. the amount of peeps you,ve helped with IE (including myself) cant be counted. theres alot of people who owe mr caperjack alot ;)
All hail to caperjack!!!!!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.