Ok this problem has been going on for quite some time. I have been in multiple phone calls with my ISP, some resulting in some rather heated discussions and such. For the record I cant switch ISP's at the moment due to the fact there just isnt another one around me that wouldnt require a sizeable investment to switch over too.

The problem? I cant download faster then 56-60kps. After complaing the first several times they told me it was the sites I was downloading from. However I download mainly from Itunes, XBL, PSN etc. Where people who are less then 30min away from me are downloading at speeds in excess of 500kps. The second time I called they said something was wrong with my connection and said they would come out to fix it. Which I think they did do something because it up to a wopping 100kps. However now it seems to have fallen back down to what it was before.

The biggest thing about this is that my download speeds start off fast, 500kps or so. Then after roughly 20 seconds it hit a massive wall and drops like a bag of dirt to 50-60kps. This happens if I connect through a router or not. No matter what device I connect with PSP/PS3/XBL/laptop etc.

The service is a 1.5mbs advertised speed. I ran some speed tests and they show back 1664kps download speed. However that is for that "magical" 20 seconds like I said is super fast.

Im running windows XP pro on a Linksys WRTN wireless router. My xbox 360 is wired everything else isnt. I have also tried plugging in my laptop to my router but is the same speed.

Any suggestions would be fantastic because im at the end of my wits here.

Provider:http://www.highspeedcrow.ca/index.php?page=rates

Its a radio band trasmission method via a wireless tower.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Ran some test results:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 1874 Kbps about 1.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
Download Speed is:: 229 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/01/20 - 4:06pm
Bottom Line:: 33X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.47 sec
Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 13.078 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 75.93 % of your hosts average (terago.ca)
D-Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-DNO3QY69V
User Agent:: Opera/9.25 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) [!]

Your results look fine. Post a result when it's running slow.
From the Hight Speed Crow FAQ:
Q. My connection is slow can someone come out and fix it? A. You may want to check that you are not using any file sharing programs as they will cause your connection to become slow.
Also, be sure to run virus/spyware scans regularly to avoid potential problems in the future.

thats the thing its always fast for 20 or so seconds.

Try it in Safe Mode with networking and see if it slows down.

Heh should of thought of that one thanks will give it a wirl.

Have you checked with your ISP? Dowloading a lot lately?

Well its not my laptop nor my devices it has to be on the ISP end. I suppose it could be a port that I dont have open on my router but like I said this is across 4 devices. If it was my laptop I suppose it would be my PC that downloaded slow.

However its my PS3/360/PSP all download at the same slow speed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.