When starting PC this morning screen resolution was 640x480. In dispaly properties the setting was on 1280x1024 True Color. Clicking onto Apply a message was displayed: "The dispaly control panel is unable to change the display settings. The graphics driver returned an unexpected error" The driver is Intel(r) 82815 Graphics controller which I uninstalled then reinstalled, unsuccesfully. The OS is Windows 2000. I work with photoshop which will not open because of the settings. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I know this is obvious but have you checked that the graphics card is both well seated in the motherboard (sometims hot / cold can cause disconnection and thyus the machine goes to default VGA.) Secondly is the fan (if any) or the cooloing fins on the card clean and clear of dust. overheating of grahics card happens quite freguently and then it closes down. Check all ventilation.
M

I know this is obvious but have you checked that the graphics card is both well seated in the motherboard (sometims hot / cold can cause disconnection and thyus the machine goes to default VGA.) Secondly is the fan (if any) or the cooloing fins on the card clean and clear of dust. overheating of grahics card happens quite freguently and then it closes down. Check all ventilation.
M

Thank you. The fan and board are clean, however the graphics controller is bulit into the motherboard which is securely screwed in place.

Do you have any related errors in the event viewer? Start->Run->eventvwr.msc [enter] will open the event viewer.

AJZ

Do you have any related errors in the event viewer? Start->Run->eventvwr.msc [enter] will open the event viewer.

AJZ

Nothing specific to a video or graphics issue.

Disconnect the monitor from the computer and carefully re-connect it.
It's possible you need to buy a graphics card.
Have you checked for Dust/dirt?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.