Hey Everyone
There seens to be a problem with my pc and i cant find any reason for it, it was working fine just the day before and now it has slowed to a point where i cant even watch vids WMP take a long time to load up and then the vids cant run smoothly at all.
I have ran registry checks, spyware and antivirus checks, but i have not defrag the machine yet something which i am about to do. However i am just wondering where anyone knows why or where the problem is coming from.
If anyone can please tell me what you need to know to help

Specs
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
2GB ram
Geforce 7600GT
320 GB hard drive
all drive up to date

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

are the videos on your HDD of from the internet.

What have you installed that starts up when you windows logons and what video and audio plugins and codecs have you placed?

the vids are all on the hard drive and didnt have a problem, on the start up there are the usual anti virus, and spyware programs... Deamon tool msn messenger so on.... i have the K-lite mega codec pack from free-codec.com
the problem isnt just on the wmp... other program and even windows is sluggish and somethings the screen freezes for a few seconds.. startup is take a long time, well longer then it use to be the whole pc is just slow

your codec might be corrupted. i had a similar issue recently i had great videos and they started playing choppy and horrible sound, i removed all the codec i had installed, then down load new ones and installed them ....BAM and it's good give that a try. and you might want to not run a lot of things if you are going to watch videos.

I am certain the problem is not with the codecs, but i tried anyway and nothing changed the problem is with the windows itself it took a long time to start up windows, something that should only take moments and did only take moments just 2 days ago. loading anyway app take a long time and even copy files or moving file take at least 5 times as long as before. for example a 700Mb file that took no more than 5 min to copy or cut and paste, now takes more 30 min to copy.
Please help me, if not fixing the problem then please tell whats wrong and whats happened to my pc. I dont know understand where the problem came from, i have only had this machine for 5-6 months and it worked fine apart from a few minor problems

Hey,
Download CCLEANER I use this and RegSupreme and it always speeds up my computer

commented: Great Program...Keep up the great work +1

i have used CClearer and advanced windowscare V2, but it doesnt seem to help even though the programs say that all the problems have been solved. And every time the machine is restarted a few problem is contantly on the problem list. I have also posted a hijackthis log on the virus forum but no one have replied yet, so i will get post the foundings when i hear anything from that thread.

I know this may sound really stupid but a lot of experience in the field has taught me that not all problems are software!!
I have had to physically clean out more computer than reformatting hard disks.
If anyof th fans and especially the video card fans are blocked up or if there are layers of dust actually nside the machine then this can and (in manycases has) caused the swhole machine to suddenly slow down as the thermal cut out is cutting in to prevent it overheating;

Have a look insde the box and if it hs ot been cleaned out physically n the last 6 months then it is possible this is the reason.

Best of luck

M

Could be a bad hard drive. Test it with Disk Speed to see what the access time is, then HDTune to test for errors (Full Scan).

This program does work well, tested many different drives and it is fairly accurate.
http://www.roadkil.net/DskSpeed.html
Desktop 7200rpm drives should have an Access time (last text box in the program) of approx 8-9ms (eg. 8.6ms). Laptop 5400rpm drives anywhere from 10-12ms. Ofcourse PC performance can also effect the accuracy so it would also be a good idea to do a complete clean up of the computer first.

And to scan for errors (or use XP's built in Check Disk)
http://www.hdtune.com/

Also, goto Start, Run, msconfig, Start Up - write down what is checked first, then uncheck them all - click apply and restart. That will at least clean up the start up for now, you can put required items back by checking them again once you have tested the drive. Required items would include drivers for scanners, but would not necessarily include drivers for Video (i leave them off the start up as most times it is just a control panel or system tray icon or other unneeded service) and the video still performs great. No tool bars, IMs, nothing is really needed, you can start them manually, or put them back once you have found the problem.

As for cleanup and performance:

Many other Tweaks are not listed here due to their advanced level, or not fully tested.

First backup all important data to an external drive (scan that when you are done with cleaning up the hard drive).

PERFORMANCE
==============

Services

Disable any services you don't need.

Typical Services that can safely be disabled:
(there are others as well but for now just mentioning these)

Automatic Updates
ClipBook
Computer Browser <-- if you are on a network and browse other computers leave this
Error Reporting Service
Fast User Switching Compatibility <-- if you want to switch between users leave this
Help and Support
Indexing Service
Machine Debug Manager
Messenger
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager <-- if you use remote desktop leave this
Remote Registry <-- if you use remote desktop leave this
Security Center
System Restore Service
Themes <-- if you want to use themes leave this
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Wireless Zero Configuration <-- if you have built in wireless leave this

System Restore

Control Panel, System: Disable System Restore.

Indexing

Go to My Computer, Right Click on all NTFS Drives, Properties, uncheck Indexing.

Automatic Updates

This is up to you, it can slow things down though as it runs in the background. Id suggest keeping an eye on SoftwarePatch.com and installing the security updates manually.

Control Panel, System: Disable Automatic updates (do them manually if you must).
also effected in the Services section above.

Manually install updates:
http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/index.html

CLEAN UP
===========

First disable System Restore, you can re enable it after clean up is completed if you like.

CCleaner (Crap Cleaner)

Download and run CCleaner, run the Cleaner and the Issues. Back up the registry when it asks, just in case. Also scan for Issues at least 3 times.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

In the latest version, it installs the Yahoo toolbar by default.
Uncheck that feature if you do not need it (recommended).

Windows Cleanup (not from microsoft) - OPTIONAL

Download and run "Windows Cleanup!" from the following link. Use the "Thorough Cleanup" option, but first backup any important files.

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=72

Please note that when you select Thorough cleanup (selects search all drives for temp files) this may have adverse effects on certain folders you manually name Tmp or Temp, such as in the case of moving your User Temp folders to another drive. If you place other folders in these then they will likely be deleted. Use the thorough cleanup and / or Scan all drives option, only for a severely infected PC.

REMOVE MALWARE
================

CWShredder - OPTIONAL

Download and run CWShredder. Cleans up CoolWebSearch if it is on the PC.
Standalone program no install required.

http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/
This is typically not required, so it is optional.

Backlight - OPTIONAL

Download and run the scan. It is a beta but I didnt have any problems. It will scan for root kits. This is a trial so you can remove it once done.

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
This is typically not required, so it is optional.

AVG Anti-Spyware

Download and run AVG Anti-Spyware, run the updates, and do the following scans in order:

1-Registry Scan
2-Memory Scan
3-Complete Scan (takes a while)

Quarantine and Set to remember action for all. Delete them when finished all scans if they don't look like Windows System files (this could be difficult but i always delete and never had a problem).

It also has some other features you can check out, such as connections, processes etc. Write down the name of any Malware found.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=asf

one thing you need to do is disable the guard, as it is only a trial anyway and uses allot of memory. Go to MSConfig Startup and uncheck the "guard". Also go to Control Panel, Admin tools, Services, look for guard, and Stop & disable it. I find simply disabling within the program does not get rid of the service all the time hence the extra yard.

Spybot S&D

Download and run Spybot. Don't auto install updates when installing. Run the program then check for updates. Download all. Do a scan.

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

this also finds some things that are not necessarily spyware, so its hard to say until you do the scan

AVG Anti-Virus

Download, Install, and Restart PC. Run AVG Anti-Virus. Check for updates. Do a complete scan. Let it clean all items found, if any. Write down the name of any viruses found.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=aff

there are other Anti-virus programs also but this is just as good for now

HARD DRIVE
==========

Defrag

Find Defrag; Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Defragmenter (or right click on a drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools, Disk Defragmenter). Defrag each Drive one at a time. Make sure your screen saver is turned off first, and also check the power options so the Hard drive is not set to power down. Change those and you can switch them back once defrag has completed.

Page File (Swap File) - Set this to System Managed - write down or remember the current values incase you want to use those again. Find it under Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance, Settings, Advanced, and click the Change button to view or change the Page File info.

Information from Microsoft:
To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.

To delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417

FINALIZE
=======

Run CCleaner again. Optionally run Windows Cleanup! and the scanners again. Also scan your external drive if you backed up any data to that. If you like to use System Restore and have disabled it before starting this, re enable it once you are done.

I know this may sound really stupid but a lot of experience in the field has taught me that not all problems are software!!
I have had to physically clean out more computer than reformatting hard disks.
If anyof th fans and especially the video card fans are blocked up or if there are layers of dust actually nside the machine then this can and (in manycases has) caused the swhole machine to suddenly slow down as the thermal cut out is cutting in to prevent it overheating;

Have a look insde the box and if it hs ot been cleaned out physically n the last 6 months then it is possible this is the reason.

Best of luck

M

good point ,forgot about that one

i just have the machine cleared, there were nothing with the fans and there didnt seem to have a much dust, but there was no change after the cleaning. also no have replied yet to my Hijackthis log thread. If there are any more ideas around please post it and i will try it. thanks

i just have the machine cleared, there were nothing with the fans and there didnt seem to have a much dust, but there was no change after the cleaning. also no have replied yet to my Hijackthis log thread. If there are any more ideas around please post it and i will try it. thanks

Where is the hijack report?

Hey Everyone
There seens to be a problem with my pc and i cant find any reason for it, it was working fine just the day before and now it has slowed to a point where i cant even watch vids WMP take a long time to load up and then the vids cant run smoothly at all.
I have ran registry checks, spyware and antivirus checks, but i have not defrag the machine yet something which i am about to do. However i am just wondering where anyone knows why or where the problem is coming from.

Specs
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
2GB ram
Geforce 7600GT
320 GB hard drive
all drive up to date

thanks

Did you defrag and what program did you use....you probable need to defrag the registry too. a good program is registry first aid... you should also click on Ctrl+Alt+Del, take a look at the processes running,(sort by mem usage.) look at what program is using up all the mem.....

the HJT report is on http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread108318.html
and i used the windows tool to defrag the machine.
I have just done a system restore and the system seem to have regained its speed. but i still dont the problem and how prevent it from happening again, so if anybody have any suggestion please feel free.
Also there is one that have refused to go away and that is a disableregistry... it was found on advance windowscare v2 on the system optimization section and show up as a explorer problem. This problem shows up after every restart

FIRST YOUR PROCESSES:
----------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

This is the AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - on low memory systems, it will slow you down - suggest first disable it in the Anti-Spyware program, then also goto Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, and Disable it there (will be named something like AVG Guard) then restart the PC:

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

These are the other AVG services, okay to leave running, but De-activate the Shell Extension and Disable Scheduled tasks or it will end up scanning in the background or installing updates.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe

If you are not doing lightscribe on CDs etc, then you can safely disable this service also. Goto Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services, disable there. Restart.

C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe

If you use Itunes and an Ipod then I imagine you need this.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Nvidia Service - can safely disable this unless you are doing some serious gaming.
Goto Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services, disable there. Restart. I disable it on my own PC and I also do alot of Remote Video and watch Movies, without issue. You will also want to take it off start up, Start, Run, MSCONFIG, Startup, and uncheck it.

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe

AVG anti-spyware - on a PC with low memory, take this off the start up.
Start, Run, MSCONFIG, Startup - Find avgas or AVG Anti-Spyware and uncheck it - click apply and restart. Only run it when you need to.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE

Something is using Rundll, typically would be a windows component but it is still a little suspicious.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Advanced Text Services - should not slow you down at all. However you can disable this by clicking on its preferences in the system tray. Or See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

MSN Messenger - Seems the old and new one. I dont use either and to get rid of it alltogether I delete the folder in the C:\Program Files, Messenger (without the program running) then, and this is important, use CCleaner to clean the registry. Up to you though. Far as I know only the MSN Messenger folder and program is required for the newer version, someone else may need to verify that.

C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe

Virtual CD/DVD-ROM-EMULATOR. If you dont use it, remove it (Uninstall). If it came with a CD Burner program, then you may have to add/remove from within that.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe

Part of Nero, Could be a problem, see this:
http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Software_Utilities/Disable_Nero_Scout_in_Nero_7.html

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMIndexingService.exe

Part of Nero again, see this also:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=164556

seems the newer Nero versions have these which is why I have not yet seen it in the one I use

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VideoMate\ComproRemote.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VideoMate\ComproScheduler.exe

VideoMate TV Tuner? Perhaps disable the services and see if that helps. Goto Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services, disable there. Restart:

http://www.comprousa.com/New/en/home.html

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe

Windows Live Login Helper. Probably need it for Windows Live 8

Always best to first remove a program you are not using, from the Add/Remove programs list in the Control panel.

Otherwise if you just want to prevent it from running on Start up:

START, RUN, MSCONFIG, STARTUP - uncheck to remove from Startup.

-------------------------------

AVG Anti-Spyware - remove to regain some speed - run only when you need to:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized

NVidia - safe to remove:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install

NVidia Tray? Safe to remove.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

NVidia - not sure what these are:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear

More on the NVidia items:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=184662

Adobe Reader - safe to remove:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"

Nero Check - safe to remove - I use Nero and have this disabled without issues:
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe

See this though:
The nerocheck.exe process is used to determine problems when running Nero burning rom. It attempts to locate drivers that may be causing problems and details them in Nero's log file. If you are not experiencing any problems with Nero Burning ROM, you can terminate this process.
http://www.auditmypc.com/process/nerocheck.asp

Adanced text services - safe to remove: (unless you are handicapped, cant see good, etc)
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

Virtual CD/DVD-ROM-EMULATOR - safe to remove:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033

Old Messenger - safe to remove - also see info in the previous thread on removal
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background

Nero Monitor - safe to remove - also see info in the previous thread on removal
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"

Torrent - remove if you dont use it - you can always start it manually - this can also be causing people to be downloading files from your PC and hence, slowing it down considerably.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [uTorrent] "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"

VideoMate TV Tuner? Safe to remove if you dont use it - also see info in previous thread on removal
O4 - Global Startup: ComproRemote.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\VideoMate\ComproRemote.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ComproScheduler.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\VideoMate\ComproScheduler.exe
O4 - Global Startup: TweakYC.lnk = C:\Program Files\VideoMate\ComproPVR 2\TweakYC.exe

--------------------------------

NOTE - as I don't use these programs and services all the time, and in some cases not at all, please use this information provided only as a guideline and if you are unsure, contact the developer of the software or use a search engine for further information.

I spoke too soon on the success of the system restore the problem came back within an hour and i am back on square one.
i understand that some of the program can be turned off, but what i dont understand is that i have had this program for at least two - three months and the computer have always been at top shape, so why has it slowed all of the sudden, this HAPPENED over night, not a gradual process. I was watching a film, and fell asleep the next morning the video and sound was like slow motion and whole machine just slowed down over night, and all the above programs had been on the machine for at least a month without problem, roryk do you know what the actual problem is. I just dont understand what is going on with me pc

Trial and Error, you will need to disable one thing at a time until the problem goes away.

Check the Torent thing first.

bight the bullet and reload winxp ,you will be better off!!

I have a serious virus problem with my computer,like Brontok, worm etc. I have used anti virus like AVG Anti Virus, yet no solution. Which is the best Anti virus to use. How do i download it

I have a serious virus problem with my computer,like Brontok, worm etc. I have used anti virus like AVG Anti Virus, yet no solution. Which is the best Anti virus to use. How do i download it?

I think at the end of the day i will have to reload windows, but just out of interest is it possible to repair windows... ie to replace of the essential files without a full format of the C: drive

I think at the end of the day i will have to reload windows, but just out of interest is it possible to repair windows... ie to replace of the essential files without a full format of the C: drive

Sometimes, but it could take longer than a reload. You could actually reinstall Windows without formatting but then you would still need to reinstall all your applications. Also anything that might have been saved in the Windows folder would be deleted. Bottom line is its best to do a fresh installation. Make sure you are backed up.

One way to do a back up if you cant get back into Windows is using a USB Drive as a backup device, plug that in and get a copy of BART PE, boot with the Bart PE CD then copy files from within that. If you can get inside windows then copy from there, or even could try the Windows backup Application, or another 3rd party one.

When you have reloaded Windows this time, and also installed all the drivers and applications, good idea to create an image of it, before you put any data back on there. Also do regular back ups and keep everything in one location to make backing up under an emergency quicker. Once you have that Image somewhere you can quickly restore the PC as it was when you made that Image. There are various drive imaging programs.

Rory

go to start and run ,type in sfc /scannow ,you will need the winxp cd,this will replace all missing or corrupt windows files

thanks guy for all your advise, i will try the replacing method first and if that doesnt work then fresh installation it is

HELLO
Press control alt delete & this will open up task manager click on processes along the top and see what processes are using a lot of cpu resources this maybe a start to finding the problem.
Cheers

Hey Everyone

Specs
AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+
2GB ram
Geforce 7600GT
320 GB hard drive
all drive up to date

thanks

You seem to have a problem which may be caused by one or more of the following:

1. Virus, trojan horse, or spyware
2. Severely Fragmented Hard Drive
3. Low Space on HDD
4. Insufficient Ram (which doesn't seem likely)
5. Overheating Issues
6. Poor maintenance of pc
7. dust build up
8. undetected virus due to a video online (online videos tend to be buggy at times)
9. Windows decided to finally suck (it sucks, but when it chooses to)

If you had this pc for over three months, back up data and reinstall windows. This will be a major problem and time filler, but it will be worth it at the end. After you reinstall, remember the following:

• Run virus scans weekly
  • defrag weekly
  • maintain the pc well
  • don't download anything you don't know about
  • clean the inside fans, etc with compressed air once a month
  • reinstall every year, after backing up data

hope this helps

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.