:@ My system crashed & I subsequently had to replace the hard drive. I used to have Outlook 2000. The tech guy installed Outlook 2002 when he loaded everything again. I couldn't open any regular attachments (like jokes from my friends). Okay, so after searching all over the web for a solution & finding none, I decided to uninstall Outlook '02 and reinstall Outlook '00. Guess what? The same problem! I have tried everything under the sun (checking the Registry - nothing wrong there; checking my security settings, etc.) and I still can't figure out what the problem could be. Before my hard disk failed I had no problems opening attachments. I have signed on to every tech forum imaginable and nobody seems to be able to help me. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Do you get an error when you attempt to open the attachment? Are you able to open a local document by double clicking on it?

AJZ

Do you get an error when you attempt to open the attachment? Are you able to open a local document by double clicking on it?

AJZ

No -- nothing happens at all. I'm able to open Word & PDF attachments, but nothing else. It's really weird. There must be some setting in there I just can't find, since it happened in both Outlook 2002 & 2000. Like I said, I never had any problems before; I'd get an email w/an attachment, I'd double-click it and it would open. Now, nothing. Any ideas? Thanks!

do you have any norton antivirus installed. or mcafee. some times these programs block attachements..if not you will have to get the latest patch for outlook then edit the registry.

From your post it would appear that you have MS Outlook 2000 email client. If that's the case you have the wrong email scanner installed plugin on your system. It would appear that you have the 'Personal E-mail Scanner' installed when you should have the 'MS Outlook Extension'...

Kimmer,
I found this page on MS site http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829982/en-us, since Outlook 2000 SR1 MS has incorporated a security level to block access to attachments deemed unsafe. You will still see that attachment but will be unable to open it. To change this behavior you will need to modify the registry do not forget to backup your registry before making any changes.

IMPORTANT: Before you can customize the attachment security behavior in Outlook 2000 SR1 and Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR1a, you must first apply either Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 2 or Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 3.

Please let us know if this fixes your problem.

p.s. if this doesn't work plz post which extensions specifically you are having problems with.

AJZ

I have exactly the same problem. Were you able to solve yours? What did you do?

Thanks,
Bob

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.