am running xp pro sp2 on my laptop. did an os reinstall last week. but am unable to download anything from the web. whenever i try download anything (movies, drivers, apps etc.), after i choose the location for saving the file and click go my system reboots automatically. even tried to install/run directly from the link - same result.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

During installation of your OS, do encounter with any error messages?

no, did not encounter any error messages that i can remember.

Did you reinstall all the drivers?
Look in device manager for yellow marks.

Only yellow marks in Other Devices - Ethernet Controller, Network Controller, SmartCard Reader and PCI Modem. Am unable to dld the drivers for these. Am connecting to the broadband modem via usb. Think this has something to do with the Settings (Security etc) on XP or some dll/exe files missing. How do I find out. Haven't found anyone who has faced this kind of problem before. Usually the PC hangs while dld - not reboots.

You need to fix the driver problem first, especially the ethernet driver.
Go to the PC maker's web site and get the drivers.
If you don't know how, post the computer model and make.

how do i fix the driver problem if i cannot download the driver ? i know how and where to get the drivers but am unable to odwnload the same.

how do i fix the driver problem if i cannot download the driver ? i know how and where to get the drivers but am unable to odwnload the same.

you will need to do it on another computer ,copy them to a disk or thumb drive and bring them to you computer and install them .

You'll need to use someone else's computer if you can't use this one. Download the drivers and transfer them to a jump drive or a CD.

now having said what i said in the post above ,you really should not be having problem downloading without these drivers i do it all the time with a usb to nic adapter ,when install winxp fresh and have to get nic drivers for the computer ,you cleary have other issues ,what im not sure .

I agree with caperjack.
You might check event viewer for clues.

ok, lemme try

yippee ! problem solved itself. i had kept windows updates on. guess one of the updates solved it. thanks anyway for the help. had not noticed any specific error on event log either. anyway, hopefully now it is behind me.

just below this post look for "mark as solved" please and check it ,good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.