I have a 2nd HD that I would like to install along with my existing one. Do I need to install an OS on it also? If so..should I unplug the working one first. Or can I leave it
in and plug the 2nd one in without causing any distress to the first one? By plugging the second one in, would my OS's plug & play (or similar file) detect it, and direct me to the formatting & partitioning section?
Basically I'm after the simplest steps of installing the 2nd hard drive, and of course have it
work properly.
Appreciate any assistance...
Toilet-trained

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Install the drive properly-you haven't said whether it's internal/external, SATA or IDE, so ask if you need help with this.
There is no need for an OS unless you want to boot from this drive.
You haven't said what your OS is. If it's XP, right-click My Computer/Manage.
Select Disk Management. Right click the new drive to partition and/or format.

Install the drive properly-you haven't said whether it's internal/external, SATA or IDE, so ask if you need help with this.
There is no need for an OS unless you want to boot from this drive.
You haven't said what your OS is. If it's XP, right-click My Computer/Manage.
Select Disk Management. Right click the new drive to partition and/or format.

Sorry, it's IDE and an internal HD. XP-Pro is the OS
I was hoping to use the 2nd HD mainly to store my digital photos and other still camera related stuff. So I don't need an OS for it? But will I need to assign a drive or format it?
One other ? Do I connect the new HD to the same cable as the current HD?
TT

You will likely need to format it. Be sure to choose NTFS.
The connection may depend on your current configuration. If you have a single HD and a single optical device, you can install it as a slave on either channel.
There is an excellent guide here:
http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml
The drive letter will be assigned automatically when you format it.

Much appreciated for the help regarding the 2nd
HD installation. Worked without a hitch.
Cheers, toilet-trained

Cheers, toilet-trained

good to hear you got the toilet thing down pat,now more training ,as the starter of this thread you should see "MARK as SOLVED ,at the end of this thread click on it to marked solved ,thanks .lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.