Hi,

I have two issues with WIN98:

• When I double click on the “Date/Time function in the Control Panel or in the Task Bar the screen flashes briefly then nothing happens. I don’t see the panel which allows me to adjust the date and time.

• When starting up WIN98 I get an error message which states:

“Cannot find a device that maybe needed to run Windows. The registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists

C:\WINDOWS\SYTEM\VSHINIT.VXD

Please press any key to continue.

When I look in the System folder I don’t see a file called VSHINIT.VXD.

Is there a way to get rid of this via the registry?

Thanks very much.

Glenn.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

check system file checker and system config utility in information section of system tools. you may find the answer there.enjoy.

If you're referring to "sfc /scannow" I've tried it. It doesn't help.

I have two issues with WIN98: When I double click on the “Date/Time function in the Control Panel or in the Task Bar the screen flashes briefly then nothing happens. I don’t see the panel which allows me to adjust the date and time.

• When starting up WIN98 I get an error message which states:
    “Cannot find a device that maybe needed to run Windows. The registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

I'm not sure about the date/time problem, but it might be a good idea to read my article on Windows 98. A temporary work-around would be to adust the time from a DOS command line using the time command.

For the boot-time error: back up the Registry. Open Regedit and do a search on VSHINIT.VXD. Remove the reference that you find there. That file is part of McAfee anti-virus software. If you still have it and it's current, you could try a re-install. If not, you are running anti-virus software of some sort, right?

no. . go programs- accessories-systemtools -system information and go to tools and take it from there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.