Please help!
I have an AMD ATHLON 1 GHZ ADVENT PC running Windows Me, when i try to boot it up i only get to the first Athlon Screen where it should start the memory check but it just sticks there. Cd ad CD rewriter lights come on but no light on floppy or keyboard. I also get one continuos long beep. I have reseated the memory, graphics card and video card, removed the cd, dvd player and the cd rewriter and just left the floppy plugged in but still nothing. I cannot get into the bios because my keyboard seems to be dead and the windows me recovery disk wont work because the floppy doesnt seem to be working. I have 128 mb of memory but it only shows 32mb on the screen that comes up, any ideas ?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What bios do u have? You can try doing a search for 'beep codes' for your bios. It sounds like it's a problem with your memory/RAM. Did you just install this memory card? If so, it could be incompatible with your system. If not, your RAM could be failing, and should probably be replaced.

Most computers have a CMOS where you set parameters

Generally you can hold down the delete key to get into it.

Set it up as basic as posible and save the info and reboot.

saveone12@yahoo.com

What bios do u have? You can try doing a search for 'beep codes' for your bios. It sounds like it's a problem with your memory/RAM. Did you just install this memory card? If so, it could be incompatible with your system. If not, your RAM could be failing, and should probably be replaced.

Agreed.

If we knew your BIOS make/version we tell you for sure, but 1 long beep is definitely indicative of a memory problem/failure in at least some BIOS makes (versions of Award and AMI BIOSes, for example). The fact that the boot screen freezes at the memory detection point and only reports 32M of RAM makes this even more likely.

This is what I have seen from experience. Try a different video card, as I recall a bad vidio card will give you the symptom of the keyboard not having any lites. I am not sure about the no lites on the floppy, so you might try swapping the floppy or just disconnect the floppy cables to see if that makes the keyboard lites return. This is called the process of elimination. HTH

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.