hi

i installed and unistalled Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh for causing errors but then when unistalled it and it started to download again through windows update. How do i stop that and i do i remove it from windows update ?

thx

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Turn off automatic updates and reboot.

hi

i tried that it worked and when i put my update on again it does again any way of deleting it

thx

You could select the "download updates but let me choose when to install" option in AU, or you could try to fool AU by editing the registry. The best fix of course would be a reload, since you'll probably continue having problems.

how do i do that and i have emailed microsoft as well .

ok just a update

yes
select download and let you choose. then when it alerts you that download is ready to install, click the icon in your tray,
when the window pops up there should be a custom install button, select that then press next.

When the next wondows comes about, un-check the update you do not want and then cancel or close (I cant remember for sure which one) it should then give the option of not notifying you of that download any more, select that option and finish.

You will not have to worry about it any more.

Reloading a PC can be quite the daunting task. If MS can't resolve your issue, I sugguest you take the PC to a local shop to have it reimaged.

hi

i installed and unistalled Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh for causing errors but then when unistalled it and it started to download again through windows update. How do i stop that and i do i remove it from windows update ?

thx

your first mistake was to load a BETA version of sp3 on a computer you cared about !Beta is for test purpose only and never recommended you install beta on anything but a test computer. you can uninstall it in add and remove programs in the control panel i think ,im sure i did that just last week ,but i could have just reloaded winxp cant remember now !.

I SOLVED IT

it was a matter of serching on internet. Then i found on microsoft tech net there was a fix

here it is :

To remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 2 Refresh from microsoft update u basically do this :

Easiest way

1) Type cmd into Start --> Run, and hit the Enter button.

2) Command prompt windows opens, copy or type the following command shown below, and hit the Enter button

reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /f 2> NUL

Taken from http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3063884&SiteID=17

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.