I'm trying to format my computer and go from vista to xp, but when I run off the xp cd it says that it can't detect my hard drive and cannot continue with the installation. What's wrong with my computer? How can I resolve this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

I wonder...Did you buy an oem version of vista? Newer vista - made computers have hardware components that can only interact with vista itself. For 'normal' drivers like video or sound card drivers, these can be modified and hard loaded. But I don't know if it is possible to do this with your hard drive.

Maybe someone with more technical expertise can help :p.

you have to go into the bios and look for a setting like 'configure sata as' or something in that line and set it to 'IDE' before you restart and go into the xp setup,its probably set to 'AHCI' now...XP doesn't support AHCI natively so thats why its giving you such a headache lol

yeah XP doesnt support full native SATA as it didnt exist when xp came out

put your disk/motherboard drivers on a floppy and hit F6 when the option appears during the blue part of xp startup.

alternatively look into slipstreaming them using a tool called Nlite

ah kewl find i was hoping of slipsteaming my raid drivers to da xp cd cuz i don't have a floppy drive..

yeah use Nlite for that

amazing wut you'll run into if you're at da right place at da right time :D
thanx man :)

yeah nlite can also integrate stuff like IE7, WMP11, and (when it is released in under a week), windows xp sp3

ya but it says that to do that you have to use a copy with no service packs on...da one i got has sp2 in it,any ideas?

thats fine

i used my sp2 disk and it was ok for putting drivers, ie7, media player 11 on. Even worked fine with Sp3 beta.

kewlness i'll jst have to find a floppy and i'm on my way lol..isn't sp3 out yet? i think someone on da forum blog posted something like that.

its out (RTM), but the final one hasnt been put up on ms yet. it will be available from MS download after the 29t of this month, and windows update in june/july

looks at da above post and whispers to him self saying "wait dude wait jst a day to go heh" :D

deleted your duplicate post.

And xp sp3 doesnt bring anything new. It has no new functionality. Its just handy as its a rollup of all the patches since sp2, which is very handy as it makes it easy to make an up - to date cd using nlite.

yea was hoping you'd do that cuz i wasn't able to delete one of em for some weird reason lol...
yup thats wut i'm hoping to do :D,most important are the raid drivers,i'm looking at sp3 as an added bonus :)

yeah normal users cant delete, and can only edit up to (30 mins?)

okay. Just bear in mind that xp sp2 with no hotfixes = about 400mb+ of downloads, and about 20 reboots in order to get an up to date system.

30mins???
hmmm you sure you didn't mix this up with another thread?
Anyways sp3 is off,M$ decided to delay it :S

yeah until at least the 2nd

oh ryt you meant my post lol,guess i confused my self a lil bit there :P
do you know any place that i can get sp3 RC?

dont. Its timebombed and insialling the final one over it may break your system. Wait until the real one comes out ina few days.

oh i see:S...well hopefully they'll put it out soon :D

I find it difficult to read on XP the stuff done on Vista!

stuff done in vista??

word documents?

install the office 2007 compatiblity pack

Enter your computer bios. Find system configuration and disable SATA Native Mode. Thats it. Boot again from your XP Cd and it should work fine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.