Hello!

There is a white flashing dot in the upper left corner of my screen (whilst the rest of the screen is black)

It appears after going through the general bootup stuff (I have an ASUS P5K-E WiFi Motherboard)

:(

I am dual booting Vista & XP. (Both 64-bit editions)

What do I need to do to make my computer work again?

Please reply!!!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: This has happened only since I have updated my BIOS using the EZFlash Bios update tool in the CMOS setup

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

sounds like like something went wrong with the BIOS update. you can recover from this using the crash free BIOS utility, if it came with your motherboard its on a usb stick or maybe the CD, otherwise you will need to download it

Hello!

The so called 'Fail-Safe' BIOS rom on the P5K-E CD that came with my motherboard, doesn't work. It came up with an error that said something like: Version in ROM file is older than the board

:(

Can someone please provide the ROM file for me?

(I can't get it myself, for the CD doesn't work and the ASUS website isn't loading!)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Some (more) help here, please!

I'm trying to find if anyone has had a similar problem in other forums, most of them say to take the CMOS battery out and wait a few minutes and put in back in, but for most that didnt help.

will your computer do anything, will it post can you get into BIOS, anything?

I can get into BIOS

What do you mean by POST?

by POST I mean Power On Self Test, basically does the screen flash a few times then the computer will beep once. thats the POST, after that beep is when windows is suppose to start loading.

thats good that you can get into BIOS does BIOS recognize you hard drive.

Recognise my hard-drive?

Yes it does. And how do I do a post?

Oh, I took out the CMOS battery then put it back in, to no avail.

Panarchy

the computer does a POST every time you turn it on, so turn it on and watch and listen does the screen flash at all, do you hear a single beep

thats the POST

after that look at the hard drive light on the computer does it flicker like if the hard drive is working, do you hear the hard drive does the computer sound like if it is trying to load windows

if you can get into BIOS and if BIOS sees the hard drive you might want to try and reinstall windows.

Hi

There has never been ANY beeps at startup.

I'll try reinstalling windows.

Thanks,

Panarchy

Hello...

Didn't work, I left the computer after I had started the formatting (or whatever, probably installation) and when I came back it had this message (white text on black background);

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

:cry:

Please help me out (once more)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Hello...

Didn't work, I left the computer after I had started the formatting (or whatever, probably installation) and when I came back it had this message (white text on black background);

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

:cry:

Please help me out (once more)

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

Hello!

Here is an update!

Everything is working well (single boot, just XP 64-bit)

It's currently installing drivers, and everything seems to be running smoothly. *wipes sweat off forehead*

:D

Panarchy

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.