Fought with Vista

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And lost

I installed a program called DosBox on my computer (Win XP) so that I could run an old favorite game of mine Duke Nukem 3D. I had no problems doing this. There is a configuration file that you can rewrite to make the program work the way you wish it to.

Then my son says he wants to had DN3D on his computer, no problem. I figure it will take about 20 minutes to set it up Rightttt........

Getting the DosBox program installed was a piece of cake, just had to go through the normal allow, allow, allow crap. But then I tried to modify the configuration file. It wouldn't let me save it. Everything is read only, so I changed it, nope still won't let me save it. So I make a new file in a different directory, saves fine. So then I copy the file to the DosBox directory, won't let me overwrite the file, so I choose copy as a second copy. Fine, erase the original and rename the copied file to the original name, seems to work, but nope. Original file still prevails.

I was forced to uninstall the file and reinstall it in it's own directory, not in the program files directory. Once I did that everything worked fine.

What the heck is up with the program file directory. It won't let me modify programs? It says I don't have permission, yet I am the administrator of the computer. How the heck do I make this thing work like a normal computer instead of this over protected selfish computer?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Not positive, but it's probably a security feature to prevent tampering with anything in the program files directory.

Program files isnt where it used to be in vista, i dont think.

E.g in vista My Documents is no longer under /documents and settings , its now under /users , and if you try and go to /documents and settings , you get access denied. It exists only for compatibility with older prorams.

maybe you have to take da ownership of that file,don't really know cuz i jst installed vista...looks pretty darn good thou lol

Program files isnt where it used to be in vista, i dont think.

E.g in vista My Documents is no longer under /documents and settings , its now under /users , and if you try and go to /documents and settings , you get access denied. It exists only for compatibility with older prorams.

The 'My Documents' tree has been restructured (thankfully), but program files is still under "C:\Program Files" (on most systems).

I think bennet is confused by the ProgramData folder.

But Leo, you need to take control of that folder, and show Vista who's the boss (and human)!

But just in case you cant, turn UAC back on and then try to modify again. You should then get a UAC prompt to continue, and it should work. (I know, don't ask, yes it happened to me too)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.