hi i am new here. when ever i connect my Ethernet cable to my laptop its says limited connection and even when i go wireless too. its is windows xp can someone please help

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

When you go wireless make sure you are within the distance limits of the router and that the firewall is allowing the connection. When it comes to Ethernet cable make sure it is a good cable and seated correctly. One thing you can do is go to command prompt (Start -> Run -> "cmd") and type ipconfig /renew to renew the ip address. Then verify if the listed ip address is within the range of the router (what you have the ip address of for the router). This will give us a better idea what is going on..

hi, check your device manager make sure that your network driver and device is working properly, if it's working properly then try to check your firewall settings and your TCP/IP configuration

click start, run, type cmd and then hit enter. when the dos screen comes up type ipconfig /all look for the ip address for the ethernet controller. you will get a limited or no connectivity if the ip address begins with 169

Each host that you connect to the router must have matching settings to those of the router in terms of IP address range, Subnet and Workgroup.

Check that the XP machines settings match those configured at the gateway (router) in terms of the 3area's listed above.

Also make sure that DHCP is enabled on the router.

As the others mention, turn off your firewall when attempting to establish connection to eliminate this as a possibility.

Your network adaptor is working fine as it is able to see the gateway because you have limited connection.

Regards

hi i am new here. when ever i connect my Ethernet cable to my laptop its says limited connection and even when i go wireless too. its is windows xp can someone please help

also sometimes my computer says acquiring ip address but then say ip address in conflict with another ip address i have no idea what that meand

When two devices on your network wind up with the same IP address, this is detected and the network interface on both on them gets disabled, causing each system to lose its connectivity until the conflict has been resolved.

Refer to my post #5

Also make sure that DHCP is enabled on the router.

Can i ask a question: Is this your own network or a business/school network?

hi radesh, i think your server is using a static ip addressing, when you assign your IP ad make sure that someone is not using it, if your doing this in a business or school network better consult your IT administrator before you disrupt your whole network...

i finally got it to work i played around with the network connections and set it to obtain IP address automatically and it worked thank you all for helping me thank you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.