Hi, I was given a Toshiba Satellite 415-s173 series laptop to look at. I was told to reformat the drive. But the problem is that when I turn on the computer, the toshiba logo pops up then it goes directly to a screen asking for a password. I know its not Bios because it usually has a box you type in. I've tried loading into BIos, but it still persists on asking for a password. The problem is that it doesn't boot up, it just asks for a password. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

is it the windows logon box

No, it just comes up after the toshiba logo. it doesn't even display the primary and secondary drives and stuff.

does it say anything at all

nope, it just says password:

well the only thing I can think of then is to ask the person who gave it to you for the password or try to take the CMOS battery out for a few minutes and then put it back in.

nevermind. i got it going. thanks for the help

Can you post how you got it going, so if anyone else has the same issue then they can fix theirs?

i had the same problem, if its the bios password you have to look for the battery in the laptop and take it out for 10 minutes before puting it back or if its the logon password you have logon as the administrator to change the password.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.