I'm sure you guys are sick of threads about freezing, but here's another. My computer has been randomly freezing for quite some time now(about 3 months). I have done all that i can think of to try and remedy the problem, from opening the case and cleaning the dust out to reformatting and reinstalling windows, but it still freezes up at the most random times. Sometimes it freezes seconds after starting windows and sometimes it's fine for a few hours. Some suggestions or troubleshooting help would be great thanks. here are the specs:

Intel P4 3.2 GHz CPU with stock heatsink and fan
Intel D865GBF motherboard with onboard audio, video, and LAN
1 GB DDR400 memory
120 GB Maxtor HDD
Windows XP with SP1(haven't installed SP2 yet)
Only the audio, video, and LAN drivers are installed since reinstalling windows earleir today. no other programs have been installed.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

SP2 is all about security. Why not put it in? [it would not be the problem, though...]. With a clean install your first visit on the net should be to Microsoft Update. Are your video drivers the latest available? Run chkdsk. Try pulling the DDR module and replugging it in the socket a couple of times, same with the HDD cables at the motherboard and drive ends [naturally with power off!]. No sharp kinks in this cable if u have a SATA drive? If it's an IDE type, is the drive connected to the right plug in the cable?
But really, for complete safety, because viruses can do this sort of thing, load SP2 and get updated immediately. And load a decent AV program next off. And don't go on the net without a firewall. The windows firewall is better than nothing, it blocks all unrequested connection attempts.

since my first post, i installed SP2 along with all subsequent updates. I also installed mcafee AV and firewall. as far as i know, my drivers are all the latest available. i did run chkdsk and no errors were found. i've removed and not only switched channels, but even switched the sticks around with the memory. i've unplugged both the power and SATA cables from my HDD and plugged them back in making sure there are no kinks or anything that may damage the actual wires. I'm still freezing multiple times a day. one more think i've noticed is my rear fan has trouble starting up at times. i plan on removing it and cleaning it off as much as possible after i'm done tonight. earlier today i was just checking temps in BIOS and froze up with the CPU temp at 51C and rising so it's making me believe that heat(my system runs hot to begin with, i'm thinking of going and trying to find a good heatsink to replace the intel stock one to help keep the CPU cooler than it is)may not be the issue. also, what are some normal deviants from the voltage? here were the readings from BIOS:

+1.5Vin 1.441V
Vccp 1.305V
+3.3Vin 3.293V
+5Vin 5.105V
+12Vin 11.937V

since i've basically eliminated software problems and have almsot completely eliminated heat problems, whats the best way to tell if the motherboard or CPU itself are bad? any advice or troubleshooting help is greatly appreciated!

I don't see anywhere that you've said you've tried updating the BIOS. Have you? I think you're right on the money about the possibility of the fan causing an issue even though you're well below the heat thresholds for that chip @51C...the fan not firing off could cause weird behaviors and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen an Intel chipset do some wacky stuff like this.

I'm sure you could find the voltage thresholds for that thing on Google. I took a look for the heat stuff - here's the temp guide for that chip:

Intel Pentium 4, Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, Pentium M

Pentium 4
Max. temperature depends much on model and clockspeed, but no clear pattern is visible. Consult Intel's tech specs for information on your particular model.
(Lowest: P4 Extreme Edition 3.2GHz with 64°C, highest: P4 Willamette 1.8GHz with 78°C). 64°C - 78°CPentium M
100°C (!)

no, i never really tried. jsut did though and it looks like it fried my motherboard. downloaded the update, it rebooted my computer, didn't boot up and sounded 5 beeps which i assume is normal. since the intel site said it takes up to 3 minutes for the update, i let it be for about 20 before checking it and it hadn't changed. so i manually rebooted and it won't boot at all now. i'm just going to bring it into a shop tomorrow and maybe just get a new motherboard.

SP2 is all about security. Why not put it in? [it would not be the problem, though...]. With a clean install your first visit on the net should be to Microsoft Update. Are your video drivers the latest available? Run chkdsk. Try pulling the DDR module and replugging it in the socket a couple of times, same with the HDD cables at the motherboard and drive ends [naturally with power off!]. No sharp kinks in this cable if u have a SATA drive? If it's an IDE type, is the drive connected to the right plug in the cable?
But really, for complete safety, because viruses can do this sort of thing, load SP2 and get updated immediately. And load a decent AV program next off. And don't go on the net without a firewall. The windows firewall is better than nothing, it blocks all unrequested connection attempts.

I have occasional freezing since installing Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse. Any one that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I have intstalled the latest Quicktime Player(not the Pro Version) and quite often when attempting to view a trailer the Quicktime Logo appears and a few seconds later a Question Mark (?) appears in the middle of the logo. Why does this happen? Would upgrading to Quicktime Pro eliminate this problem?

I think you're right on the money about the possibility of the fan causing an issue

Yep, I agree. Turn Off your computer. Open it up, and turn on your computer and while it's on make sure all of the fans are turning. If your GPU is from ATi, that fan may be buggered. This happend to me a while ago.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.