I have my pc with dual booting of win98 and winxp.I have mcafee installed on my pc, recently i tried to run a patch of mcafee on winxp which didn't run. Then i restarted my pc and booting in winkp gave me error \WINDOWS\system32\config file missing and it said to run repair. I tried to boot my pc from winxp cd while in procces it gave me Blue Screen error which says to check for bios updates or to remove driver for newly installed hardware. I tried to run fresh setup of winxp but still i am getting the same blue screen error, also i have formated the drive but didn't work. There is no problem when i try to boot in win98.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

when you formated the xp partition did you use the winxp cd or win98 boot disk,or from with in win98 ,anyway did you do a full format or just a quick format ,

just did a quick format from within win98

just did a quick format from within win98

try a full format ,not a quick in 98if you still get blue screen do it from the winxp cd if you can get that far ,but do a full format not a quick one

Thaks for the reply caperjack. Formating helped winxp setup was sucessful,but i fear that this blue screen errors might appear again anytime. Bcoz i use to get this errors randomly while working on my pc.

Ti fear that this blue screen errors might appear .

Fear is a horrible thing ,I have a fear of the dark so i leave a light on at night .lol
,be brave and use the computer and worry about it when it returns .

the blue screen I believe that I depend on an error in yours hard disk. to times he can succeed that you have broken some cluster of yours hard disk. (Sorry for my english :-) )
Try a scan of your hard disk with a specific software

Bye

the blue screen I believe that I depend on an error in yours hard disk. to times he can succeed that you have broken some cluster of yours hard disk. (Sorry for my english :-) )
Try a scan of your hard disk with a specific software

Bye

Thanks for the reply. What type of scan should i run and also please let me know the software required for such a scan.

Thanks for the reply. What type of scan should i run and also please let me know the software required for such a scan.

Don't worray about the bsod the format should have taken care of it unless its ram related .

no special software needed just you winxp cd ,if you ever get the BSODagain you can use this info ,check microsoft site ,the command you need to run is the "chkdsk /r"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.