My girlfriends laptop was working fine before we went camping for three days. When we came back, it said something like "Windows was interrupted during start up blah blah blah. If <-that happed, or you don't know what happened, choose start windows normally.

You can also do last good configuration or go into safe mode. Safe mode with command prompt and some other safe mode one.

When I choose ANY option, including safe mode, it shows the windows loading screen, the mouse pops up and I can move it but the screen stays blank. In safe mode, it has safe mode in the corner but still hangs there.

It's an IBM Thinkpad. I can go into Rescue and Recovery 3. I first looked at the eventviewer thing. There's three lists you can look at. Applications, ???, and system. Applications and ???'s most recent dates are about 5 months ago. But in 'System' they are up to date. There's a bunch of errors about the CD-rom drive on the last night it was working. She said she tried to Rip a Cd that had gunk on (it wasn't ripping), she got the gunk off, and then it worked. Then there's an error at 11:20 (she said she got off about then)

"A request to shutdown was denied by winlogon.exe" Error code 240 if that helps

That is the last thing in the event log on July 24th. THEN, the date changes to October 15, 2008 to October 19th, 2008. There are a few more strange errors that I wrote down ...but I forgot the paper at her house. (something about atapi or something) And also there are more of those error 240's after that first one before the date change. Nobody turned the computer on over the weekend (supposedly so lets go with that).

I can also do system restore from the Rescue and Recovery, but when I try to do it. It starts and then hangs at 0%.

She does not have a Windows XP disk as the laptop is from Aaron's (like rent-a-center). I can't find mine either =(

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Her mom is taking it to Aaron's tomorrow but I'd like to fix it before then. Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll update this when I get the stuff I wrote down from her house. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Anybody?

hello ,when you get to this part

When I choose ANY option, including safe mode, it shows the windows loading screen, the mouse pops up and I can move it but the screen stays blank

try to do alt+ctrl+del ,and see if you can get the windows task manager up .if yes ,try ,file new task and type in ,explorer.exe and see if it will bring the desktop back

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.