Please be kind to this lady! I have searched the internet and tried different things for over 8 1/2 hours.
I think I messed my PS up last night messing with a reg clean. Turned it on this morning and all I get is a blue login screen. I have never set a password so nothing works.

Per the internet (currently using daughters laptop) tried F8 to get into safe mode .. it shows I'm in safe mode but goes back to blue log in screen , no desktop icons, no start button. So read some more on internet put in windows XP media center reinstallation cd from Dell. I believe it was repair I picked and it took an 1 hour plus said, repaired a couple files. Also typed in chkdsk /r but not sure which order I did the last two.

I've tried Safe Mode
Safe mode with command prompt
Something about previous good
debugg

nothing is working! I'm either going to start crying, have a panic attack or crack out the Vodka.

I know i should take it to the local PC repair place ... but hubby has been off work for 7 months and $$ are extremely tight. I need my PC back for my website and ebay sales.
Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? Sinc Debra

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

When starting and selecting Safe mode [any safe mode] you are given the option of running System Restore. Choose that and restore to any earlier point that is available, but the later the better.
If you do not have Restore points, then continue to safe mode... can you get past the login screen? Use the Administrator login [just select and press Enter if no password on that], then go Ctrl-Alt-Del to start Task Manager. Iside that go File, New Task[Run], type explorer.exe, press Enter.
If that opens explorer you will get your Start button etc. Open the Registry breaker you ran and head straight for the Restore button.
Say how you get on...

No system restore option, others that I mentioned earlier and these 2 also: Last known configuration known and Directory Services Restore Mode
Cannot get past login screen
I continue to SAFE MODE and a black screen with a lot off line of partion stuff comes up then goes to login window with option of Admin and Debra. Click on Admin and continuosly Ctr Alt Delete, Black screen with safe mode comes up and in the middle is a Log On to Windows box with my name in it and a blank area for password. Tried this again since your post also tried earlier today from reading stuff from the interent. It just will not let me get past either a Login Window or the little log in box.

When starting and selecting Safe mode [any safe mode] you are given the option of running System Restore. Choose that and restore to any earlier point that is available, but the later the better.
If you do not have Restore points, then continue to safe mode... can you get past the login screen? Use the Administrator login [just select and press Enter if no password on that], then go Ctrl-Alt-Del to start Task Manager. Iside that go File, New Task[Run], type explorer.exe, press Enter.
If that opens explorer you will get your Start button etc. Open the Registry breaker you ran and head straight for the Restore button.
Say how you get on...

"a black screen with a lot off line of partion stuff comes up"... I think you mean the scrolling list of drivers being loaded? Anyway, if you cannot fully enter Safe Mode, and it does sound like you cannot, and Windows either, then I cannot help further except to say it looks like a Windows Repair [not Recovery Console...] is called for. I know you said you did it already with a Dell disk [it does take about an hour to complete cos it is pretty much like a full reinstallation job], but that's all that remains. Or just a plain new installation of Windows. As far as I know.
A Repair job lets you keep [most of] your third party software intact, a fresh installation requires you to reinstall it all. Repair will not destroy your data files, neither will a fresh installation as long as you DO NOT delete OR do a format of the partition when it is suggested during Setup. To have your data absolutely safe you could place your hard drive in someone else's machine and copy out all the stuff you wish to keep. I would....
Both require you to reload all Windows updates.
God luck.

If you followed those instructions of his your sys would come to no harm... Doug Knox is a king.

If you followed those instructions of his your sys would come to no harm... Doug Knox is a king.

That's good to know .. so far one window pop up said "The procedure entry point GetRequestedRuntime version could not be located in the dynamic link library mscoree.dll
What that means I have no idea , clicked on OK 3 more minutes to go
WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS!:icon_lol:

Fine, that msg merely is indicating that you have a later version of .net framework in your sys compared to the one on your Repair CD. If the repair works just go to this site and dl the latest version of .net, vsn 1.1

YIPPPEE SKIPPEE! I think this lady will have a drink just to celebrate this whole day! Thanks Gerbil for taking the time to respond and special THANKS to Doug Knox. Programs all there, pictures, internet!!
I can go to sleep tonight! Gosh! What did I do before computers ???

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.