I know this has been spoken about in numerous posts , and i have read them but none have been of any new help.

Svchost runs at 100% and have tracked this problem down to when internet explorer hangs then crashes. Plus sometimes explorer won't display internet sites using .asp

The svchost which runs at 100% is runnign the service rpcss.exe service so ending this paticular task will result in ending the rpc service. Thus creating the same effect as the msblast worm.

I'm damn sure it has somethign to do with internet explorer. I've virus scanned and used numerous ad removal software to see if anything like that was effecting it. I had all the latest secrurity patches and sevice pack before this all happened.

i'm running xp so anything i might not have tried would be grateful

p.s. i have reinstalled ie6

i best add sometimes it shows at running at 100% but it isn't due to all programs run sweet but on other times it's dog slow. But all internet activity is reduced i expect this has somethign to do with the rpc service.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

• Take some screenshots of all your services (alphabetical) order and your process listings.(and post them here)
  • Download screen shot app DOWNLOAD HERE
  • There are two diffrent types of (RPC) services
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
  • If you want to learn more about how to disable uneeded services an create your very own customized service folder go to www.BlackViper.com

I have seen similar problems in the past w/ some of my boxes. I found doing windows updates helped me out. This may not help, but it is worth a try. Good luck!

I have a similar problem with two win2k machines. Whenever I run ie (any version or update from 5.0 to 6.1 and inbetween) I hjave a csvhost crash and then I can't copy, some links don't work, some buttons don't work, some files get corrupted, no virus. I scanned with avg, Norton and some other software. All with top updates.
Working on the internet on these windows machihnes becomes hell.
Ilya
P.S.: I am being forced to use only Linux and most of my app are for windows.

I know this has been spoken about in numerous posts , and i have read them but none have been of any new help.

Svchost runs at 100% and have tracked this problem down to when internet explorer hangs then crashes. Plus sometimes explorer won't display internet sites using .asp

It turns out that even with the MS patches applied, there are still DCOM/RPC vunerabilities. Go to Gibson Research Corp at http://www.GRC.com and download DCOMbobulator and ShootTheMessenger. The first shuts down DCOM, and the second shuts down the Windows Messenger Service, useful only as a source of spam pop-ups, most selling "services" to stop spam pop-ups...

It's also good to use Gibson's UPnP utility to shut off Universal Plug and Play, another useless feature. All of these utilities are reversible, as well.

MS has finally fixed ALL the bugs relating to SVCHOST. The patch can be found at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q927891

It's an update to the same patch released a month before, which actually didn't work for me. After installing this new patch it's fixed this problem which I've been having for a year now and has prevented me from using Microsoft Update and would randomly lockup up the PC about 3 times a day!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.