I know a few threads have been made about this but I'm still not so sure.

When I start up the computer everything looks fine, I use Windows XP Media center edition for at home.

I'm not for certain but my computer is a gateway that I got a few years back and I don't believe I have any CDs for it anymore.

When I login it tells me that it's loading my settings but after that it stays on my desktop wallpaper and sounds like it's loading. After a little while of waiting a minimized linksys icon shows up at the bottom left hand corner and disappears. Even if I wait and hour nothing loads and all I can do is Ctrl+Alt+Del.

The task manager comes up and I try running file --> explorer.exe but then that doesn't work and it still responds the same way.
I've also tried system restoring to about 3-4 weeks back which works when I relogin in. But then if I turn it off and turn it on again it does the no icons or start bar again.
Safe mode now won't even load for me too well, it stops as a black screen with Safe Mode written along the borderlines and doesn't get to a desktop.

My brother's username apparently works when he logs in but when I log in nothing works. I'm 2nd administrator of the computer, I also don't mind loosing my information but it would be nice to get it back. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Not sure if you have done it before, but login under your brothers name, and do a profile transfer over yours. This will allow you to keep your documents and such, but it will allow his settings to take over. Let me know if you need details!

Not sure if you have done it before, but login under your brothers name, and do a profile transfer over yours. This will allow you to keep your documents and such, but it will allow his settings to take over. Let me know if you need details!

This implies only if your brother's profile isnt corrupt as yours is

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.