Ok, really wierd, posted thread on this before thinking it was spyware or adware..... turns out it WASN'T after running ad-aware, spyware and EVERYTHING ELSE. This is the problem:

Whenever I try going to google.com or yahoo.com, it takes me to some place called "cPanel" and it says "There is no website configured at this address." Which is funny because the address bar of ie still says yahoo.com or google.com. Wierd? Anyone have any suggestions/answers? Yeah, I have run spybot, adaware, hijackthis......... nothin found..........

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

cPanel is a popular server maintenance software that is often used for webhosting accounts. It is very possible that many major sites use cPanel. Personally, I am not a fan, but instead use their major competitor, Plesk, here on DaniWeb. I'm not sure why you might be seeing that on any big sites ... unless it was a temporary fluke or they were doing server maintenance. I can't exactly see a site as big as them making such a critical error though.

cPanel is a popular server maintenance software that is often used for webhosting accounts. It is very possible that many major sites use cPanel. Personally, I am not a fan, but instead use their major competitor, Plesk, here on DaniWeb. I'm not sure why you might be seeing that on any big sites ... unless it was a temporary fluke or they were doing server maintenance. I can't exactly see a site as big as them making such a critical error though.

I think it might be a virus or something that is redirecting me to "cPanel" when I try going to google.com or yahoo.com. I will try running McAfee again.

The most likely cause is a malicious alteration to your Hosts file, or the addition of another, bogus Hosts file.

1. Open Windows Explorer, click the Search button, and:

- In the box where you specify a filename to search for, type "hosts" (without the quotes).
- In the "Look in:" box, select My Computer.
- Make sure the search options are set to search subfolder, system folders, and hidden folder.
- Perform the search.

2. The only valid Windows Hosts file are:

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\Hosts
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\Hosts
Windows 98\ME = C:\WINDOWS\Hosts

Open the Hosts file which corresponds to your version of Windows in Notepad and examine its contents. Be sure to scroll through the entire file! Some infections try to hide their modifications at the very end of the file by padding the middle of the file with blank lines.

3. The only entries in the default Hosts file are the following:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp. 
     # 
     # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows. 
     # 
     # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each 
     # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should 
     # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name. 
     # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one 
     # space. 
     # 
     # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual 
     # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol. 
     # 
     # For example: 
     # 
 #	 102.54.94.97	 rhino.acme.com		 # source server 
 #	 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com			 # x client host 
     127.0.0.1	   localhost

If your Hosts file contains any otherentries in the format of the "127.0.0.1 localhost" entry, delete all of them (except the "127.0.0.1 localhost" entry), save the file, and close Notepad.

4. If you find other files anywhere on your system named Host, tell us what they are.

i had the same problem, on some of my host files it had a list of search websites such as msn, yahoo, google, mail.yahoo, i just deleted the host files all together and now everything seems fine. check each and everyone of the host files you have and delete the ones with your search sites listed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.