Hi All,

I hope I'm in the right place for this question (first time on the forum).

On Windows XP, Outlook 2003, we have domain mailboxes set up that can be added on our outlooks. The problem is, once one user on the PC is given access to a given mailbox, all other user profiles cannot access this mail box. Is there a work around for this?

I read this post on Experts exchange that sounds very similar if not exact to the problem I have. That forum charges money to get answers so I figured I would look around and try and find it before having to do that. Here is his post:

I run a small business network of 12 users on a single SBS 2003\Exchange 2003 server. We're in the process of bringing on 60-70 home based independant contractors who DO NOT need access to any files\applications\printers on our server but DO need an exchange email account within our domain.

Can I create exchange email accounts for each of the contractors without assigning them a domain account? If I add all the contractors as users I'll blow past my SBS user limit and force a migration to Windows Server simply to hand out email accounts for people who work out of their home.

I'm not sure if that exactly what I need but it sounds close. If anyone could help or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Josh

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

for each person to access the email on your server they have to be added to the domain, this can be done through Active Directory. create an account for each person. and then set up your server to give then access through exchenge web access. this way that can access their email and no access for files more over they can access the email from anywhere.

The thing is the have access to the domain, I think it has more to do with the user accounts on XP? Because the first one to get access to the mailbox works, but if someone else is given the same access to a mailbox on the same PC, then they are not allowed to access it. Not really sure why there is a problem there. Let me know if that helps.

Thanks for your quick reponse though.

Since this is a SBS server and I'm assuming that in addition to exchange, you also have print and file sharing on this same server. You can use OWA (outlook web access) for your contractors to access their email, or you can put Exchange on its own server and not enable print, file sharing, RAS, or Mac services.

If this server only function is for Exchange email then your contractors can access their email through Outlook without violating your SBS license.

Hi All,

I hope I'm in the right place for this question (first time on the forum).

On Windows XP, Outlook 2003, we have domain mailboxes set up that can be added on our outlooks. The problem is, once one user on the PC is given access to a given mailbox, all other user profiles cannot access this mail box. Is there a work around for this?

Josh

Mailbox are assign to a single domain user account. If you want multiple users to access a single mailbox then you will have to set up Outlook to "Always prompt for user name and password". This can be found under Outlook Tools.... E-mail Accounts.....more settings.....security. When prompted by Outlook user must supply the name and password assigned to that email account.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.