Here's my dilemma...I've been searching far and wide for an answer and I'm hoping to find it here.

I have a built computer, my BIL put it all together including installing my software. Took it home and everything is fine. After a few weeks of having it I notice that it won't completely shut down. I go to Start>Turn off Computer>Choose Shutdown. Then I noticed a message -closing windows in order to shut down computer safely- maybe not word for word but you get the idea. I've tried everything I could think of to shut it down completely but the only way is after shutting down is clicking my power supply switch in the back.

Am I missing something or could it be something that's keeping me from shutting down?

I have Microsoft XP 2003 in stalled, just in case this is a factor.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Press Alt+CTRL+DEL on your keyboard and click on "Task Manager".

And let me know what processes do you see under "Procesess tab?

I go to Start>Turn off Computer>Choose Shutdown. Then I noticed a message -closing windows in order to shut down computer safely- maybe not word for word but you get the idea..

No I don't get the idea, what else is said? What is required for the PC to shut down safely??

Nickel,

My assumption is that you have a program that isn't wanting to shut down by using this shut down process. I've had problems in the past with adobe not wanting to shut down properly. I don't think that's the problem but the suggestion to post what tasks you have running right before shutdown would probably help. Either that or a hijackthis log . . .

I go to Start>Turn off Computer>Choose Shutdown. Then I noticed a message -closing windows in order to shut down computer safely- maybe not word for word but you get the idea..

No I don't get the idea, what else is said? What is required for the PC to shut down safely??

What I meant by this was when you get the box that says shutdown, restart, log off, hibernate, etc. I choose shutdown. Most computers when you choose this option and then click 'OK' it completely shuts the computer down, the Screen, PSU, the works. However, it's only closing windows but leaving me with a blue screen and my computer still running.

Now you get it? <---not being smart, promise :D

THis morning I was told that it could be a problem in BIOS that I will have to check out.

@Frank - I didn't get the chance to check this out when I got home. Didn't even turn the dang computer on.

I can not see it being the BIOS but it is worth a try. Open your case and remove your motherboard battery, leave out for 5 mins then replace, reboot and your BIOS is reset. If that will not work try to check your windows files by going to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:
sfc /scannow
That will check and if necessary replace your damaged or missing files. You may be asked to put your windows Cd in the CD drive.

The main reason why this could be happening is because the shutdown process
is not able to communicate with the Motherboard.

I suggest and recommend you to show your computer to a hardware vendor or
Company from where you have purchased it,after following the solutions given in this
thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.