hey
I have Windows Vista SP1 32-bit and I have downloaded all updates from the Microsoft website, they all work; except for this particular update:Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157).
When I click on install updates, it installs for a while but then an error occurs:
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista (KB940157)

Installation date: ‎29/‎09/‎2008 3:10 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80070020

Update type: Recommended

I've researched this code on the microsoft and have tried what the support site has said but the update still won't install.
Any suggestions as to why?

Please help

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

do you have automatic update turned on? Occasionally, an update will see something it doesn't expect if updates are installed out of sequence. You could always restore to a setup before you updated and try to install in the right sequence.

yes automatic update is turned on

Okay then, if you don't really care about having the update I would not bother. It's not vital to the computer to have that update.
I have a friend who has Windows Vista, and since she got the computer I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the world of Vista, and I have found that: a; don't install any updates until you have read about them, and b; if you know it's not important, don't bother.

yeah true.. but why am i hving trouble downloading this update then?

yeah true.. but why am i hving trouble downloading this update then?

Sorry, haven't been around in forever...

I'm not entirely sure. It should be working anyways.
I'm assuming you have a genuine version of Windows, because if you don't that may be the cause.

I'm not entirely sure. It should be working anyways.
I'm assuming you have a genuine version of Windows, because if you don't that may be the cause.

Vista sometimes becomes very stubborn sometimes, It failed to do so for me. It seems to be some sort of bugs-and-fix. I didn't do anything, and yet it fixes itself. I just at that time ignored, and it have fixed itself. May be because they fixed in one or other updates

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.