Hi! Please bear with me. I've never done this before. About a week ago, I decided to try out "Mozilla Firefox". Soon after I downloaded it and was trying it, I tried to go to a web site to pay a bill. "The page cannot be displayed" appeared. After trying several things, I decided to remove Firefox and go back to IE6, thinking it might be the browser. Well, it still does it. I have tried EVERYTHING!!! I called my ISP and they couldn't help. E-mailed Dell and they haven't responded. Anybody have a clue?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

So you can't access secure sites?. I mean, you can't pay for what you ordered?

what windows do you have? if is XP. Try doing a system restore to a previous date and it should resolve it.

So you can't access secure sites?. I mean, you can't pay for what you ordered?

what windows do you have? if is XP. Try doing a system restore to a previous date and it should resolve it.

Thank you so much for replying! That's right! Just who do they think they are?? lol. I do have XP, but already did a system restore and it didn't work. Any other suggestions?
For the record, the web site I'm trying to go to is www.bellsouth.com. If you (or someone else) would, please check to see if you can go there. Tech support at bellsouth.net said he could, but HE'S WITH BELLSOUTH!! nuff said!
By the way, it's not my internet connection and it's not my anti-virus or firewall. Have disabled them both to no avail.

Try this...

http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe

click on that link. It is going to ask you what do you want to do. You have to click on OPEN and a window will appear. At the bottom of that window on the right site where it says MTU; you have to type 1492 and then clink on save and the reboot Pc and try one more time to pay whtaever you are trying to pay. Make sure where it sys adapter settings you have the correct adapter selected.

Do you have service pack 1 or 2 ??

Oops! You beat me! While you were replying, I edited my previous post. OK. Going to go try your suggestion.

Do you have service pack 1 or 2 ??

I've got SP2.
Guess what? When I clicked on your link.....got the same msg! "The page cannot be displayed"!!!! :twisted: aaarrgh

try it again

I tried it again. Still no go.

That link does work. Make sure your cookies settings are not high.
Make sure you to disable your firewall as well before trying.

That link does work. Make sure your cookies settings are not high.
Make sure you to disable your firewall as well before trying.

I have cookies set to medium and have "always allow"ed bellsouth.com. Tried it with firewall disabled. No go.

go to start-->run and type CMD.
in the DOS type. NETSH WINSOCK RESET and hit enter.
what do you see now.

all lower case

Hi! Thanks for all of your help, but I actually found the problem this morning. I have a Linksys 802.11b wireless router. I had to go to the configuration web page and make ONE CHANGE to the settings. That was all it was. Oh, well.....my computer sure is clean now!!!!!

Thanks again.

always a pleasure.

I had to go to the configuration web page and make ONE CHANGE to the settings. That was all it was.

Can you tell us what the exact setting was? That info could help others who have similar problems.

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.