Where can I find a new RUNDLL32? I am running Windows ME, and have all the updates.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Extract it from the Windows ME-CD and copy it into the folder C:\Windows.

Michael

How would i go about doing this?

You could try something like this (I have all Windows versions except ME, but it should work):

1. If you can start your Windows:

-On your Windows ME-CD, locate the folder with all the .cab - files (in Windows 98, this folder is called Win98)

-open a MS-DOS command and change to the specific folder on your CD. Then type: extract /A /L C:\Windows firstcab.cab rundll32.exe. 'firstcab.cab' should be changed to the name of the first .cab file in the folder while C:\Windows is the path where the file will be extracted.

2. If you can't start Windows:

-As far as I know, you can't start to DOS mode in Windows ME just like that, but you can try anyway: start from your Windows ME-CD; when you're in DOS-Mode with cd-rom support, search the CD for the cab files folder.
-Proceed as above.

Hope this will help you.

Michael

You could try something like this (I have all Windows versions except ME, but it should work):

1. If you can start your Windows:

-On your Windows ME-CD, locate the folder with all the .cab - files (in Windows 98, this folder is called Win98)

-open a MS-DOS command and change to the specific folder on your CD. Then type: extract /A /L C:\Windows firstcab.cab rundll32.exe. 'firstcab.cab' should be changed to the name of the first .cab file in the folder while C:\Windows is the path where the file will be extracted.

2. If you can't start Windows:

-As far as I know, you can't start to DOS mode in Windows ME just like that, but you can try anyway: start from your Windows ME-CD; when you're in DOS-Mode with cd-rom support, search the CD for the cab files folder.
-Proceed as above.

Hope this will help you.

Michael

If you know what CAB file it's on, this method will work. Just wanted to chime in on this, because the Windows ME installation CD does have EXTRACT on it.

If you know what CAB file it's on, this method will work

No, the /A - attribute makes it process all cabinets.

Michael

First of all thanks much to all who replied to my post, second I made an error, When I originally bought this computer Windows Me was already installed, I was not given a Windows ME disk per say, I was instead given a sytem restore disk. with windows Me on it. Is there a web site that offers a download of RunDLL32? or can I get the program from the system restore disk?

was curious if anyone has a reply for the post above since i need the information bad

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.