I format once each year and I have a little problem regarding format.
When I format the primary drive, install the OS and all software, the secondary harddrive is not seen. So I reformat the secondary harddrive with the software that came along (Maxtor).

I like to know if it is possible to format the primary harddrive and have the secondary harddrive to retain all the contents. Meaning, I do not want to reformat the secondary drive and continue using it as it is, even after formatting the primary drive.

Is this possible?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I format once each year and I have a little problem regarding format.
When I format the primary drive, install the OS and all software, the secondary harddrive is not seen. So I reformat the secondary harddrive with the software that came along (Maxtor).

I like to know if it is possible to format the primary harddrive and have the secondary harddrive to retain all the contents. Meaning, I do not want to reformat the secondary drive and continue using it as it is, even after formatting the primary drive.

Is this possible?

This shouldn't happen ,what i would try is,sutdown computer remove plug from the back ,hold the power button in for a few ,then open the case and unplug the secondary ,then reboot and format the primary ,then repeat and plug the secondary back in !

It sounds like the Maxtor software is installing some sort of aux driver in your OS and when you re-install it is not there.
There is probably a repair function in the Maxtor software to re-install access to the second drive.
There is no need to format the second drive...
Does your BIOS support the size and type of drives you are using?
That would be your only real reason to use the Maxtor utilities (Drives not supported)

There was some info on the Maxtor site...
This might help...
It is best to NOT use the Maxtor Install if not needed
But since it iwas already used to install the slave you are committed....

Installing a Secondary (Slave) Drive:

Note to users who do not want to format an old drive that will be used as a slave drive: To add a secondary drive from another system (old PC) without reformatting, the drive must have an existing FAT16 or FAT32 partition. The drive must also be jumpered as a slave drive. Add the drive to the system and Windows will detect the drive.

1. Insert the MaxBlast CD or Floppy and restart the system.

2. When MaxBlast 3 asks if you would like to prepare the drive for use on your system, click no.

3. Select "Set up Your Hard Disk".

4. A list will appear with all the drives on the system. Click on the drive that needs to be formatted and click on "Next".

5. Choose the operating system on the Master "Boot" drive.

6. Choose “Install drive as additional storage

7. Choose an installation method and follow the onscreen prompts. "Easy Installation" will create one large partition on the drive. "Advanced Installation" will give you the option to create more than one partition.

8. Proceed with the rest of the instructions.

9. Remove the floppy or CD when MaxBlast is finished. Restart the system.

10. The new drive is now ready for use.

The format of the secondary drive was not necessary but only an initial approach to fix the problem, because the secondary harddrive letter did not show up on My Computer.
Maybe I should have simply disconnect the IDE cable of the 2nd drive and reconnect after the reformat. I'll try it out next time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.