I run Windows 98 on Compaq Deskpro Computer.
My Cd Drive is connected to a primary IDE Controller. Now the problem is that everytime i want to read any information from any CD i my systems tels me that access denied the disc is not accessible.
I went to Device Manager and i found that the Device is not working properly either there is no Disc or the drivers are not allunfortunatly i failed to download any driver beause am not sure which driver it uses please if there is any alternative which is much quicker than the approach i took that failed me then somebody please help i appreciate.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

so which controller is your hard drive on?
windows should have the drivers it needs for a cd driver. are you sure the cables are in the right way?

You should not need any driver for the CD in Windows...

Does the BIOS recognise th CD on bootup?

I would move the CD to the secondary IDE..
Master or slave depending on other drives on the secondary IDE

Some hard drives require a jumper change (removal) if there is no slave
So be sure to check your Primary Hard Drive...

I run Windows 98 on Compaq Deskpro Computer.
My Cd Drive is connected to a primary IDE Controller. Now the problem is that everytime i want to read any information from any CD i my systems tels me that access denied the disc is not accessible.
I went to Device Manager and i found that the Device is not working properly either there is no Disc or the drivers are not allunfortunatly i failed to download any driver beause am not sure which driver it uses please if there is any alternative which is much quicker than the approach i took that failed me then somebody please help i appreciate.

In device manager ,remove the cdrom and reboot to reload drivers .

You should not need any driver for the CD in Windows...

Does the BIOS recognise th CD on bootup?

I would move the CD to the secondary IDE..
Master or slave depending on other drives on the secondary IDE

Some hard drives require a jumper change (removal) if there is no slave
So be sure to check your Primary Hard Drive...

Yes BIOS does recognise the CD on bootup.
I moved the CD to secondary IDE and Hard Disc to primary and the jumper is set to Drive select for the Hard Disc and master for the CD ROM Drive which is on Secondary IDE. But still there is no change. What i get is E IS NOT ACCESSIBLE THE DEVICE IS NOT READY. i tried it many times.
I went to Device manager but found that the Device is working properly however, on the Driver Tab. No Driver files are required or have been loaded for this device.
Here is the details for my device.
Model Compaq CD_ROM CR-594
I tried to upgrade through the Upgrade on the Device Manager but there was this issue of Certificates which actually stop me.

Please help.

Otherwise thanks for the contributions made that brought with it some good ideas.

To help decide if Hardware or Windows is the problem...

Set BIOS to boot to CD First

Try to boot to 98 Disc...?

What i get is E IS NOT ACCESSIBLE THE DEVICE IS NOT READY. i tried it many times..

As a neighbourhood computer repair guy I have throw out a lot of cd drives ,they do break!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.