Hiya,

Can anyone help please? My laptop is a Pentium iii 500 mhz - I know this because it's what flashes up on the screen when I boot up. When I right click on My Computer, then properties, it's saying it's a GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 0 mhz.... this is causing me a problem because even though I know I have an ok specification to accept this wireless broadband thingy, the software wont install.

Is there something I can do so windows accepts the right spec? It's in denial!

Many thanks in advance - you might guess i'm not very technically minded! :o

Kate xxx

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

did you take a look inside your computer maybe somehow your processor has gotten loose or the motherboard needs be checked. but are you saying that when you boot you are able to run the install cd or not because if you can run the cd then all you probably need to do is to reinstall. It does however sound like a hardware problem try posting in that forum so maybe someone can give you some better help.

did you take a look inside your computer maybe somehow your processor has gotten loose or the motherboard needs be checked. but are you saying that when you boot you are able to run the install cd or not because if you can run the cd then all you probably need to do is to reinstall. It does however sound like a hardware problem try posting in that forum so maybe someone can give you some better help.

Hiya and thanks for replying!

I don't think I have any loose parts inside because i've never had a problem with it before. When I boot up it goes through the normal sequence and goes into windows fine. In fact all aspects of the laptop are fine apart from this installation. I was half way through this remote broadband installation and the software ran a check on my system then it came up with this processor doesnt meet minimum requirements idea, and it won't let me continue at all. I know that the check they're doing is wrong and i'm convinced it's windows itself not knowing what my system is.

It's been suggested by someone that I might need to modify the details in the registry - is that ringing any bells with you?

Thanks so much for your patience!

Kate

Have you looked through the literature that came from your broadband provider to see what the system requirements are? I would think a PIII-500 should meet the requirements, but you should start there to make sure.

If your system does meet the minimum requirements, you should get in touch with your providers tech support as they may have already had to deal with this issue.

Have you looked through the literature that came from your broadband provider to see what the system requirements are? I would think a PIII-500 should meet the requirements, but you should start there to make sure.

If your system does meet the minimum requirements, you should get in touch with your providers tech support as they may have already had to deal with this issue.

Hiya,

My computer is definately a pentium iii 500 mhz and that's ok for broadband..... BUT the broadband software and windows itself is saying the computer's a much lower spec - below their minimum of 133 mhz and the installation wont continue.

When I told my ISP the problem their answer was 'if thats what the software system check is coming up with then it wont work' which it wont, but thats not what my computer is - I just need windows to recognise what my system really is because the broadband self check is obviously looking to windows for the info and not at the computer itself.

Thanks,

Kate x

Have you got the Windows 98SE CD? It sounds like your system is in need of a good 'refresh' of the windows installation.

Pop the Windows CD in the drive and run 'Setup' o install Windows again over the top of the current installation. That should leave your programs and data files in place, and simply refresh the system files with new copies which actually work - if you are in luck that is!

No guarantees, but it's worth a try and it's better than formatting and starting over fresh.

Have you got the Windows 98SE CD? It sounds like your system is in need of a good 'refresh' of the windows installation.

Pop the Windows CD in the drive and run 'Setup' o install Windows again over the top of the current installation. That should leave your programs and data files in place, and simply refresh the system files with new copies which actually work - if you are in luck that is!

No guarantees, but it's worth a try and it's better than formatting and starting over fresh.

Ooh I didn't know you could do that without wiping everything! It's worth a try isn't it?

Thanks! I'll let you know!

Kate xx

Wait just a second-- who's your ISP?

Keep in mind that with most broadband cable companies, you don't need to install a single thing on your system to get it to work. If you install and configure the network card, or if it's already configured right, you should just be able to plug it in and go.

ISPs are full of it when it comes to these "system requirements". I've had 30mhz machines on broadband (directly connected to the modem, too, mind you!), and had nary a problem before.

Ooh I didn't know you could do that without wiping everything! It's worth a try isn't it?

Thanks! I'll let you know!

Kate xx

Hiya again,

Nope - that didn't work. I ended up reformatting my computer and reinstalling windows.

Still no joy i'm afraid.

Kate

Wait just a second-- who's your ISP?

Keep in mind that with most broadband cable companies, you don't need to install a single thing on your system to get it to work. If you install and configure the network card, or if it's already configured right, you should just be able to plug it in and go.

ISPs are full of it when it comes to these "system requirements". I've had 30mhz machines on broadband (directly connected to the modem, too, mind you!), and had nary a problem before.

Hiya,

My ISP is blueyonder. They actually sent me the installation pack so as I could set it up. It's not broadband that needs a different modem in, it's remote, so I plug a box into my tv set top box, then a little dongle sort of thing into my USB port, then go through the installation cd's. During the installation it detects what it thinks is my processor speed (I found out that it thinks my processor is a 70 mhz) and then the installation won't let me continue any further so it's not merely a recommedned minimum, it's set.

If it helps my laptop is a viglen dossier xl 500 mhz 128mb RAM.

Thanks for your reply!

Kate

It sounds rather wierd that the processor isn't being correctly identified. I suspect that you may not have the correct motherboard chipset and other device drivers installed as well.

I couldn't find any downloads available for your laptop on Viglen's website:

http://www.viglen.co.uk/devportal/std/storefront/storefront.asp?GUID=19402432377

So it might be a good idea to contact them and ask for a link to where suitable device drivers can be downloaded.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.