I would just like to know..

Refurbished units that .. possibly say have an Intel Quad Core processor, 3GB ram, 300+GB hard drive and costs around 500+..

Would it be better than buying a DELL system unit that has an Intel Core 2 Duo processor about 2.0ghz, 3GB ram, 320GB hard drive, costing around the same price (+tax)?

Budget is $700-800, and I don't surely know what to decide.
I know for a fact that refurbished units have a more higher chance of breaking down sooner than a newly-bought unit.

I need some thoughts on this guys.
Thanks

EDIT: sorry if this post is in the wrong section.. i couldn't really find any other place that is suitable to put this in.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I know for a fact that refurbished units have a more higher chance of breaking down sooner than a newly-bought unit.

Refurbs are generally reliable. They are pcs which broke down in the warranty period and have since been repaired.

And dells suck, you cant upgrade the motherboard, the cases are nonstandard, and they generally cant take decent graphics cards

How long would you think a refurbished unit last before it breaks down?

And if DELL was so bad, how come they're pretty expensive for their products? I'd just like to know more on refurb'd units because if they are pretty reliable, then I would deffinitely go for them.

Dells arent bad, they just suck if you want to upgrade

For home users and businesses (thier primary target) they are good but for gamers and power users, dells suck. Take it from a dell owner.

seeing as you want "Intel Quad Core processor, 3GB ram, 300+GB hard drive" it is assumed you are one of the above users. Best way is frankly to build your own pc from standard components.

A refurb unit will last as long as a normal pc.

Its like this

Customer A buys a pc.
Customer A uses pc for like 4 months
Something dies e.g motherboard
Customer gets new pc under warranty
PC gets replacement motherboard eventually and gets sold on as refurb

Alternatively, refurbs are the sort of thing where they are loaned to a company for like a year or two. Once the loan is up, they are cleaned out, get new disks, and are sold on.
They are good.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.