I have a tough problem, and it seems that I can not resolve this one at all.
The speaker icon that is situated near the clock on the task bar, disappeared from there. It is only gone from the task bar, and I can do what ever I want to get it back there, no luck. On top of that, since it is gone from there, it seems that the volume is muted somewhere, as I cannot hear any sound when watching you tube videos or other online sound, but when I listen to Cd's or play mp3 files saved on the hard drive, the sound is there. The speaker icon shows "muted" when I look at it by right clicking on the task bar, and choose the "customize notification" option, and then scroll down to "Volume"
This is what I have done so far:
1. Un hide inactive icons
2. From control panel un mute the volume
3. From control panel show icon in taskbar
4. copied sndrec32 and sndvol32 from a working system and pasted it into the system32 folder replacing the existing ones.
5. Updated all drivers and made sure no conflict on drivers.
6. Checked on sound card software that nothing is muted.
7. Checked the online media like you tube that nothing there was muted.
8. run regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>software>microsoft>windows>current version>run to see if there were some no tray icon problems there, nothing found.
9. Logged in and out of the account.
10. stopped and started explorer.exe
It seems that my problem is with the muted state of the volume icon found by right clicking the task bar, and then choose the "customize notification" option, and then scroll down to "Volume" Once there, right next to the volume icon it states [muted]
Strange thing is that I can hear sound when playing music from my hard drive and cd player.
This is for a Amilo pro Fuji Siemens laptop, operating on Windows xp pro SP2
Please tell me what am I missing here and any Idea how to fix this?