Hi. C drive's about 20 gigs and I couldn't manage to have disk space more than a gig. Turned system restore, hibernation off and cleared all the temp files using disk cleaner and other softwares. Very few softwares have been installed. There's a lot of space in other drives. So, what should I do? Just reinstall, or is there any other way to save disk space? I've turned Windows Update on and is it gonna affect my disk space??? Need help.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

20 gigs is too small for vista. A clean install of vista uses like 4 to 20gb alone. 40gb+ is the minimum reccomended.

Buy a bigger hard drive and reinstall.

If you are going to buy a new hard drive get the biggest one you can affort because in a couple years it won't be big enough!
A few years ago the first hd I bought was 80 meg and cost about $500.00 USD. I thought it would last forever, but forever turned out to be about 6 months when I filled it up with MS-DOS 6.X os. I have bought several since then and MS-Windows seems to be getting bigger and bigger as hardware gets cheaper.

If you are going to buy a new hard drive get the biggest one you can affort

The fact his machine has a 20gb leads me to believe its an ancient machine in which case he may have a drive size cap of some sort

If the hardware is too old then Vista won't even install. Needs to run the Vista Upgrade Advisor before spending money on a new hd to see if he needs a whole new computer.

hi THis is ganesh here....

if u r facing a low disk space problem then just do oe thing

if u want to install any software then install it on other drive means other than c drive or simply format ur PC an allocate C drive much space coz by default all syssstem files are install on C drive so better way u can make on other drive

thanx

GANESH
98 90 8 143 7
Network admin
I.B.M
Pune

hi THis is ganesh here....

if u r facing a low disk space problem then just do oe thing

if u want to install any software then install it on other drive means other than c drive or simply format ur PC an allocate C drive much space coz by default all syssstem files are install on C drive so better way u can make on other drive

thanx

GANESH
98 90 8 143 7
Network admin
I.B.M
Pune

Isnt 20 GB enough for c in vista....but as ganesh has replied any personel s/w could be installed in other drives alse...pls allocate 30 gig .

No. Vista eats disk spacs.

I will recommend you to cut and copy all unwanted files on other drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.