I see many others have the same problem,dont if should open a thread or not.
I have a 4 PC home network using MS home network and internet connection sharing,without a router,I can access any site from any PC,except for one,I cant get ebay.com from one of the PC's.in Firefox it says "document contains no data"

I use Firefox,Yahoo and IE
Windows XP Pro
All security settings are fine
No adware or malwares
ISP say its not them
Tracert goes from San Diego-SF and times out
Cookies and Cache are clean
host file are clean
used spybot and fixed problems

if anyone can help me I would really appreciate.
thank you

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

This may not do the trick, but it's something to at least get out of the way up front:

Close any/all browsers, open a DOS box, and type the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns

Fire up a browser again and see if the error persists.

I've tried that after reading the other thread with similar problem,but I 'll give it a go when I get home.

thanks

It didnt work

I didn't think it would, but flushing your local DNS cache is just one of those standard troubleshooting steps with problems like this.

I'm finishing up here for the night, but hopefully one of our members will pick this up before long. If not, I'll come back to this tomorrow.

I even reformated the drive,still no luck,I have spent so many hours,but not ready to give up.

I have the same problem with just one particular web page that won't load, only on this computer. I've had the problem for a while now and still have no idea how to solve it.

The website i can't access is one of my friends online diaries and i see no reason why i can't see it, i used to be able to.

I'd really appreciate an answer to this question to, as we've probably got the same sort of glitch.

the ones I cant get are big ones,like ebay and microsoft.com

after reformating,I have done so many things and al of a sudden I can browse them,then I restarted a few times,still can browse them,then downloaded critical updates,all 40 of them,then again restarted a few times,just to see if it was still working after updates and it did,it was late,I shut down the computer and went to sleep,when I woke up and thy to browse the sites again,it didnt happen,just like it was before,back to square one.Dont know what could have happened when the PC was off for a few hours.beats me.
getting really frustrated though.

I have done almost everything possible
diffferent anti spywares,online scanner,malware remover,you name it ,I did them.since this is a fresh partition,nothing was found.

if you find any solution please let me know.

- Is the problem limited to Firefox, or does it happen with other browsers as well?

- What exact version of Firefox are you using?

The error you're encountering seems to be fairly well-reported in Firefox, but this is about all the Mozilla support site has to say about it:

Error message: The document contains no data. This could be due to a problem with the cache. Solutions:

• Clear your cache - Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache (Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cache on Firefox)
  • If you are using the software Peer Guardian, switch it off.
  • Try disabling any firewall or proxy server you have, if you can. If the problem is resolved, it's probably because of the firewall or proxy.

Cache corruption seems to be one of the main causes for the error, which isn't too surprising. What is surprising is that there isn't an option to have Firefox automatically flush the cache when you close the program (or at some chosen interval)...

- Is the problem limited to Firefox, or does it happen with other browsers as well?

- What exact version of Firefox are you using?

The error you're encountering seems to be fairly well-reported in Firefox, but this is about all the Mozilla support site has to say about it:

Error message: The document contains no data. This could be due to a problem with the cache. Solutions:

• Clear your cache - Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache (Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Cache on Firefox)
  • If you are using the software Peer Guardian, switch it off.
  • Try disabling any firewall or proxy server you have, if you can. If the problem is resolved, it's probably because of the firewall or proxy.

Cache corruption seems to be one of the main causes for the error, which isn't too surprising. What is surprising is that there isn't an option to have Firefox automatically flush the cache when you close the program (or at some chosen interval)...

I use other browsers as well,In firefox it says,"document contains no data",IE and yahoo says cant find the server".

Are eBay and MS the only sites you can't reach, or do you have trouble with some other sites as well?

Are the exact sites that you can't access the same across all browsers?

Are eBay and MS the only sites you can't reach, or do you have trouble with some other sites as well?

Are the exact sites that you can't access the same across all browsers?

yes,so far those are the sites I know of,

Last night I decided to reformat the drive again,because I wanted to see,if it works without installing anything new or changing any security settings,and guess what, its working,for now,as soon as I will leave the PC off overnight,it will be gone,but this time I will leave it on,
do you think it has something to do with critical updates?last time when it was working,I downloaded stuff from windows update,and after restarting,it was still working.But when the PC was off overnight ,it was gone.very strange

I want to see why this goes away,I wont download anything,not even critical updates for now.

I appreciate your help DMR,and I will let you know whats going on.sorry for taking so long to reply.

I would really like to fix this problem and close the thread soon

I wouldn't think that the critical updates would only clobber two specific sites, but I guess stranger things have happened with computer software.

Let us know when the problem occurs again; maybe we'll be able to pick up a clue or two this time.

An hour after my last post,I couldnt browse those 2 sites anymore,but I found out it didnt occur cos of any software or changes in settings,it just happend, without any changes.

:mad:

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

I am having a similar difficulty. I get the "document contains no data" message but only sometimes when trying to use ecommerce sites like ebay or when ordering from a Yahoo! store.

I am using Firefox 1.07 on Windoze XP SP2.

I have tried clearing the cache in Firefox.

I have tried deleting Firefox from the exceptions list in Windows Firewall so that it will ask if I want to allow that program to have access. (It didn't ask)

I have tried turning the Windows Firewall off.

I am still having problems using ebay. I don't know if it's relatd to accessing secured pages or what.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hey, this might be the solution: ANTI-VIRUS. Disable it or see the filter settings and remove the high security for the browsers or the brower you want to use for development.

Hope this helps.

Peace :)

thank u very much

i have the same problem while entering

these sites

ok-iraq forums

iraq net

iraq diroctory

and i hope to find the solution of this problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.