I have 3 pc's......2 windows 2000 servers with independent domain controllers, AD, DNS, DHCP(authorized), and a win2000 pro workstation. The primary servers ip address is 192.168.1.100 in the alternate DNS server address. I have manually set all the computers to this ip address in the alternate DNS. I have created a new PC account in ADUC under domain controllers with domain controller, server operator, domain user privileges for this acct. but can't seem to joing the workgroup to the domain when right clicking properties in my computer under change or ID.

Can anyone see what I action I am missing or doing wrong? I am a total beginner at this and would appreciate an insight from a experienced network administrator.

Thanks.........and awaiting any posting to experiment my little dilemma.

earthguy

Sorry, but the way in which you've described your network environment is more than a bit unclear. Can you please elaborate on what exact functions each of the two servers provide, and what services are running on each of the two of them?

2 windows 2000 servers with independent domain controllers...

Can you clarify that please? Are you saying that one is the PDC and one is the BDC for a single domain, do you mean that you actually have two separate domains, each having one of those boxen as its PDC, or do you mean something else entirely?.

The primary servers ip address is 192.168.1.100 in the alternate DNS server address. I have manually set all the computers to this ip address in the alternate DNS

If you mean that the .100 machine is the Primary DNS server for your domain, all machines which you want to join to the domain should be pointed to that address as their primary DNS server; why are you entrering it as an alternate/secondary DNS server IP?

but can't seem to joing the workgroup to the domain when right clicking properties in my computer under change or ID

What exactly happens when you try? Give us the full and complete text of any error messages that you get.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.