I'm working on a dell XP Home that will not get past the welcome screen, there is one user, when you first boot up it is all norm it goes straight into the desktop background (no icons) then it logs off and goes to the welcome screen, when you click on the user id it says loading personal settings then all of a sudden it says logging off and saving your settings. I have ran ms mem test extended for 10 passes everything passes, ran HDD mfg test all past(extended test), ran chkdsk /r it said it found some prob and fixed them, but still can't get logged on, repair install did not work either, oh, can't boot into safe mode, booted with ubcd4w looked at the reg. at userinet.exe, seen no prob there. does anyone have any suggestions or see something i have missed. thank you in advanced, all hardware passed, no errors on repair install.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Can you boot into safe mode? Try and add a new user if you can

i think you have a nasty in your system. please try to scan with malwarebyte's anti malware. here is what you'll do

1. - Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes...=dl&tag=button) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

2. - Download hijackthis and post the log.

In your reply, post the logs (in this order):
1. - Malware Bytes Log
2. - Hijackthis Log

if it's a virus attack, then your post will be redirected to the viruses and other nasties forum.
anyway i hope your problem get's resolved quickly.

Please read the orginal post carefully, I can not boot into safe mode, and although malwarebytes is a great program if I can not boot into windows I can not download or run it. I do think all for trying to help but please read the origanal carefully. thank you

Hi rebel, have you tried to plug in in your HDD to another PC and scan through that machine...possible reason for your problem could be a virus...got a problem like this before..it was a virus..but i only have one pc...and couldn't get rid of it..so i reformat my hdd..

sorry for not considering that you can't boot in any mode. can i suggest perhaps repairing windows and then immediately after doing that do what i had suggested? or do as the dude above has suggested if you have access to another computer.

cguan_77: I booted with the ubcd4win and ran virus scan found nothing, also done spyware scan from there just some tracking cookies that was it.

c-tech: I have tried repair instal and recovery console but they did not work.

it looks like i just may to reformat, i have an image of the drive so at least i can put the customers data back. but i would really like to fix the issue instead of doing a format.

i think then that the only option other than formatting is to take out the hdd and then scan it from another computer. and use an antivirus such as Kaspersky.

I did that also, but nothing so I just called the customer and told them what was going on and what I will have to do, and since I had got an image of the HDD i will be able to go in and get there data. just want to say thanks for all the help. so off to format and clean install,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.