If say, you suspect you have some viral files that replaced some important window system files lurking about your computer… and regardless of what you try, you cant seem to locate them, let alone get rid of them...

And there’s a good chance that it’s the root cause of your systems disgustingly high PF usage.. (Say 250 PF regularly, because I never had many apps running at the same time.)

And if on top of all that, you can’t EVER seem to get your hard drive to defragment properly (Mines always stuck on 75% defragmentation… ALWAYS!)

Would reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling my OS system possibly correct any to all of these problems?

I just want to make sure it’s the wisest idea to reformat my system and recover my OS with my recovery discs and start from scratch again. I backed up all my files.. now I want to make sure I’m not making some mistake that I’ll regret later on. I remember I regretted formatting my hard drive back when I had Windows 95 on my old 166 NEC, I lost everything and the OS didnt install again properly, but then that could have been because it was an older opperating system.

Is this the wisest choice, or should I take a different approach? I’ve tried posting my fragmentation and viral problems on this site before but the approaches never seemed to resolve the problems. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I've looked at your other threads, and it seems to me that if you're still having problems a reformat/reinstall may be your best bet. As long as you're sure you have everything backed up, there shouldn't be any problems. Make sure you have all your recovery CD's, Product Key, and other software disks before you reformat. You can find detailed instructions here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

I always use 'format' as a last resort.

There are things you could try first.

Download, install, update and run both Adaware and Spybot S&D. Both are free and in my sig below.

You should also run these online virus scans

Housecall
Panda Active Scan

Have them set to 'Autoclean'

Try that for a start.

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it ;)

EDIT: Looks like I was beaten to it ;)

Yep :) I looked through Omni's other threads and those things you suggested, and more, have already been tried.

If that's the case, format away :cheesy:

Nothing quite like a fresh install of windows ,its not the ordeal it use to be!! go for it, saves a lot of playing around with removal tools !!

I've looked at your other threads, and it seems to me that if you're still having problems a reformat/reinstall may be your best bet. As long as you're sure you have everything backed up, there shouldn't be any problems. Make sure you have all your recovery CD's, Product Key, and other software disks before you reformat. You can find detailed instructions here:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread6632.html

Product key? Hmm did that come with my Compaq plastic satchel of goodies and manuals?

I don't know how Compaq does it, but it should be there somewhere! It should be on the XP manual, or on the case of one of the Restore CD's, but may be on the case itself (I've never actually seen it on a case, but I've heard of it being put there). If you can't find it, contact the place you purchased the computer from and they should be able to help.

Hello,

They may have even pasted it on the case of the computer. Microsoft has been doing that sort of case graffitti since Windows 2000. Nice flashy warning label on the box.

Christian

I don't know how Compaq does it, but it should be there somewhere! It should be on the XP manual, or on the case of one of the Restore CD's, but may be on the case itself (I've never actually seen it on a case, but I've heard of it being put there). If you can't find it, contact the place you purchased the computer from and they should be able to help.

I have the kind of XP OS that dosent come with recovery discs, you had to make them when you first get your computer, which I did to avoid any problems later on by not having them.

Whats the odds of it asking a product key for my system if the recovery discs were MADE from my computer? Wasnt this system specifically designed so that you couldnt distribute your recovery discs to another user, and they were only useful on your system alone? Thats what I learned as a computer sales rep anyways

Product key? Hmm did that come with my Compaq plastic satchel of goodies and manuals?

you computers case should have a sticker on the outside usually the left side of the case when you are looking at the front of the case .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.