At work we just did a upgrade on machines and OS’s (approx 300)

They are all using Windows XP Pro and each and everyone has a unique key. (All activated all ready)

Now if I want to take one of those boxes and reformat it, can I use that key that was activated on it and re-use it on other machine? If not how the hell do I deactivate it I am so tired right now google.com has temp failed me.

Just want to take a activated WinXP Pro box and reformat it and put that key on another machine I know this has to be possible but, how?

Please help me this is important to me. Thanks a lot guys I owe you big time.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

At work we just did a upgrade on machines and OS’s (approx 300)

They are all using Windows XP Pro and each and everyone has a unique key. (All activated all ready)

Now if I want to take one of those boxes and reformat it, can I use that key that was activated on it and re-use it on other machine? If not how the hell do I deactivate it I am so tired right now google.com has temp failed me.

Just want to take a activated WinXP Pro box and reformat it and put that key on another machine I know this has to be possible but, how?

Please help me this is important to me. Thanks a lot guys I owe you big time.

With XP Pro, you can do it one time (remove from one computer and install in another), as long as it's not an OEM version (OEM can only be used on the original computer).

When you go to activate it, you will get a message -- including the phone number -- to call Microsoft and tell them that you removed it from the original computer. As long as this is the first time it has been moved, there should be no problem.

Well it is OEM what difference does it make if it's OEM of a boxed CD version?

Well it is OEM what difference does it make if it's OEM of a boxed CD version?

Microsoft rules (as I understand them). You can find out about Windows XP product activation by reading this document and its related links:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=326851

Here's a quote from that website: "These OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another PC. Windows XP can also only be installed on a single computer. Installation and subsequent activation on a different computer requires a new license."

If you have any questions after reading the information at this website, you should contact Microsoft.

I wish to un-install XP Pro. How do I do this?

Can someone help me un-install XP Pro?

Spam a little bit more people will love it

I wish to un-install XP Pro. How do I do this?

Start a new thread; ask this question under your own thread, not someone else's, you'll get a much better response.

Jimmy. an OEM edition is a single user installation. It can't be transferred to a different system, and the key number has a different structure to the retail release. Try and reactivate that on a different system and you'll strike problems. (And you'll have to do some pretty good talking to get Microsoft to do it by phone.)

The big difference, of course, is that it's been sold for half the price purely because it's designed to only ever be used on a single machine, for the lifespan of that machine.

Good luck mate ;)

Oh yeah. I hope the installation keys have been recorded for all those systems, in case they need to be reinstalled. with that many systems, it's got me beat why a volume license wasn't purchased. That would have been cheapest of all!

Ok here is the deal.

We purchased 25 more OEM keys from newegg.com

All of them have been activated before so they told me "we are going to send you a volume license CD" that I should have got! Well basically install that one CD per PC with one CD key and stick the OEM sticker per machine.

So as for now I guess we are ok going to use one CD KEY for all machines and stick the OEM stickers on each machine with unique serials.

Sounds illegal I know but, they said it's legal and you know what at this point you do the right thing and MS screws you. I see why people still make boot legs copies because of things like this you spend near $10,000 on just the operating system and your screwed spend $0 and your in good hands. Thanks a lot for your support.

A volume license uses just the one CD key for all systems installed with the license. The number of installations allowed under the volume license is, of course, on record and you should be able to install and activate as many systems as you hold the license to cover.

Try and reactivate that on a different system and you'll strike problems. (And you'll have to do some pretty good talking to get Microsoft to do it by phone.)

It wasn't all that difficult as I remember it... Got me worried when it diverted from the automatic phone system to an operator though!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.