I'm trying to put together:

MOTHERBOARD
MB ABIT® IC7-G i875/ICH5-R chipset, Socket 478, 800MHz BUS, ATX format, Intel® P4, audio, Gigbit LAN on board

CPU
Intel P4 - 2.4 GHz 512kcache socket 478 - 800 FSB

RAM
DDRAM 512MB PC400 APACER® CL2.5

HD
MAXTOR® DiaMaxPLUS® 160GB 8MB CACHE SERIAL ATA

GC
VGA ManLi GeForce FX 5200 128MB TV OUT 8xAGP LITE

BOX
Midi MS® 350W

XP and MAXTOR drivers installation all goes OK, but when I'm trying to start it up the machine freezes (quite early on XP start-up gif thing). First I thought it was because of MAXTOR (larger than 137GB), so I replaced it with my old WD ATI only to get the same result. When I switch to installing Win2000 instead - it seems to be working OK. I'm puzzled. Please help.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

wait you building from scratch and your installing XP correct? because when ever you install a new mobo, you need to reinstall XP, but you might get by with a simple upgrade install. Give it a try. If XP continues to not work, stick with 2000, i find it much better. Im a home user of both, I run advanced server, and XP. Im doing great with 2000, also if your willing to give your self a challenge download or order a nice linux distro. I did, thats what im currently working on.

Thanx! I too like 200 but it's just that ''I can't '' feeling that drives me crazy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.