My computer just went on the fritz. I can get it to boot up and it gets up to the choice of family members, I can choose and then the HD does it thing and the desktop picture shows up and thats it. No icons, no startup bar, nothing. If I hit ALT-CTRL-DEL I can see that explorer.exe is loaded but apparently not doing its job. I have gone into command prompt and tried to restore. The only choice I had was from about 15 minutes ago. I tried it and it did nothing. Same result. I can get into safe mode. Now what do I try. Thanks.

Went into safe mode and ran Malwarebytes and it found 39 items, did the reboot and it finished the job. The computer booted properly. While I was scanning Norton AV found the Hacktool.Rootkit virus. On the full scan after a successful reboot MWB also found the Hacktool.Rootkit in my restore file. Sneaky suckers.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1580
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/5/2009 5:40:18 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-05 (17-40-18).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 69557
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 13
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 4
Files Infected: 18

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvWmMFU.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{827bc997-94d9-43e4-aaf3-792ea037dcea} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{827bc997-94d9-43e4-aaf3-792ea037dcea} (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify\tuvwmmfu (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\{5222008a-dd62-49c7-a735-7bd18ecc7350} (Rogue.VirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\ifjsfycr (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\prunnet (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xpreapp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\virusremover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\virusremover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\seneka (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellExecuteHooks\{6d794cb4-c7cd-4c6f-bfdc-9b77afbdc02c} (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\virusremover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\prunnet (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\VirusRemover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\VirusRemover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\VirusRemover2008 (Rogue.VirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\VirusRemover2008\Logs (Rogue.VirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nnnoOhGY.dll (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\YGhOonnn.ini (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\YGhOonnn.ini2 (Trojan.Vundo.H) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tuvWmMFU.dll (Trojan.Vundo) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\birtmxgp.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Local Settings\Temp\winvsnet.tmp (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Local Settings\Temp\xcarewnmos.tmp (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\VirusRemover2008\Viruses.bdt (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\VirusRemover2008\VRM2008.exe (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\VirusRemover2008\VirusRemover2008.lnk (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\VirusRemover2008\Logs\scns.log (Rogue.VirusRemover) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\prunnet.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\senekajfyakbwn.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\senekalntowlmh.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\senekanfnvluuf.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\senekalehullkf.sys (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Desktop\VirusRemover2008.lnk (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Ryan\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\VirusRemover2008.lnk (Rogue.VirusRemove) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1580
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

2/5/2009 7:09:05 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-05 (19-09-05).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 222218
Time elapsed: 47 minute(s), 56 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{86D27B17-AA3D-49AC-8B87-A0BAA8D99A67}\RP525\A0354396.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Symantic AV found

Hacktool.Rootkit
C:\windows\system32\drivers\birtmxgp.sys
Clean failed - quarantined failed - delete succeeded

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.